Project Manager Data Science & Analytics
- New York, NY, USA New York NY US
- Permanent, Full time
- New York Life Insurance Company
- 24 Mar 18 2018-03-24
Project Manager Data Science & Analytics
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion**. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity-the values upon which New York Life was founded-have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
DATA SCIENCE PROJECT MANAGER
This role will be responsible for presentation/content development, project management and reporting for analytics projects in a busy Data Science team. Your primary focus will be to convert complex data science project related content into exceptional business presentations. You will create a library of content and coordinate content creation for high level stakeholder meetings and project updates. You will manage project schedules, maintain milestone status reports, provide communications updates to stakeholders in the in the Underwriting, Actuarial, Marketing and Agency spaces while coordinating with Procurement, Legal, and Technology when required.
- Effectively manages multiple projects and keeps them on time and target. Creates project plans, develops and executes strategies for internal coordination, including brainstorming events, focus groups, field visits, update meetings, steering committees. Resolves problems and removes obstacles to timely and high-quality project completion.
- Work with external data suppliers to test and implement analytical solutions into core business processes.
- Organize and improve intake processes for project status reporting.
- Supports creation of business cases with value propositions, competitive/strategic analysis, financials, etc. Informally and formally presents business ideas internally.
- Creates effective and visually appealing presentation materials for internal stakeholders, NYL leadership and external vendor meetings.
- Follows industry trends in insurance and related data/analytics businesses.
- Assures compliance with regulatory and privacy requirements during design and implementation of modeling and analysis projects.
- Travels to events and vendor meetings as needed (
- 3-5 years of experience in a consulting role serving the Life, Health or P&C insurance industries
- 2+ years of experience managing and executing projects, ideally coordinating and executing presentations for programs in large insurance or financial services organizations.
- Analytical mindset, aptitude for data management, processing and analysis techniques.
- BS/BA in business preferred
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including extensive experience in developing and making presentations.
- Expertise in creating effective and visually appealing MS PowerPoint presentations.
- Ability to communicate with stakeholders at all levels in our organization as well as within partners and customers.
- Ability to effectively motivate and coordinate cross-functional teams in a matrix environment to achieve well-defined timelines and goals.
- Highly organized. Proven ability to effectively manage own and contributors' time while multitasking between several, time-sensitive projects and competing priorities in a dynamic business environment while maintaining strong, productive relationships with internal stakeholders and external partners.
- Credible functional expertise in insurance and business-level understanding of analytics
Location: Manhattan (midtown, walking distance from Penn Station and Grand Central)
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
* Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
** Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.