Principal, Full-Stack Developer
Who We Are?
For over 235 years, Bank of New York Mellon (BNY Mellon) has been at the center of the global financial markets, providing the world's leading institutions the tools, capabilities, and services to be distinctive investors. BNY Mellon has approximately $16.5 billion in revenues and a 23% return on tangible common equity.
BNY Mellon is a leader in the world of investment services and investment management, and our businesses support the full range of stakeholders of the financial system including:
What We Do Execution Services - Capital Markets
- Managing the custody of approximately $37 trillion financial assets of the world's leading institutional investors, hedge funds, sovereign wealth funds, and corporates
- Investing approximately $2 trillion as one of the largest global asset managers across a wide range of asset classes
- Providing collateral, liquidity, and funding for the world's largest banks through our markets franchise
- Serving family offices and high net worth individuals through our wealth management franchise
- Providing a full suite of solutions to advisors, broker-dealers, family offices, hedge and '40 Act fund managers, registered investment advisor firms and wealth managers
- Advising large global corporations on a range of trust and other solutions
- Providing integrated managed data services to asset managers
Our group provides institutional trading-related services to clients with a global, multi-asset investment footprint with a mission-critical technology strategy to develop and deploy our Outsourced Trading and Transition Management Services platform into a commercial offering. This team will experience the fast-paced, ambitious, yet cerebral and collegial culture of a start-up effort, while receiving the benefits of working for an established, stable firm and one of the world's greatest financial services companies. Role Overview
This is an opportunity for a Front-End Developer
to get involved from the ground-up, as we design, architect, and build a state-of-the-art platform to empower extensive reporting capabilities, research, and real-time analytics, in support of our new global, multi-asset trading organization. Role-Specific Responsibilities
General Job Responsibilities
- Play a key Senior role in the design, architecture, and implementation of:
- Trading research platform
- Real-time decision support service
- Reporting platform and service
- Build a historical and real-time data management platform for a global, multi-asset trading organization.
- Design and architect API-driven solutions, utilizing open-source resources.
- Design and develop quant libraries for research and production.
- Create back testing and simulation tools, for development and testing of execution tactics, creation of trading signals, studies of PM and trader behavior.
- Implement a system of data quality checks.
- Put into production trading signals, analytics and decision support tools created through the quant research process.
- Implement workflow tools and automation to mitigate risks associated with trade execution.
- Consults with internal business groups to provide high-level application software development services or technical support. Must have thorough and demonstrative knowledge on or both the user-side frontend of a website, as well as the backend, server-side that powers the user-side. Additional requirements include intermediate understanding of security principles, relational databases, and architecture design principles.
- Provides comprehensive senior-level technical consulting to IT management and senior technical staffs. Evaluates compliance with the organization's technology standards. Programming well-designed, testable, efficient code. Analyse, design, and develop tests and test-automation suites. Develop flowcharts, layouts, and documentation to satisfy requirements and solutions. Maintain software functionality and currency (technical debt and gain). Actively participate in code reviews. Integrate software components into a fully functional software system. Apply security and privacy principles.
- Works with internal business groups on implementation opportunities, challenges, and requirements of various applications. Analyzes information and provides recommendations to address and resolve business issues for a specific business group.
- Guides and consults with IT management and technical staffs regarding use of emerging technologies and associated services.
- Participates in defining corporate implementation and integration strategies of new technologies. Active learning engagement. Complete all required mandatory training / policy awareness curricula on time. Use learning tools such as Pluralsight to complete both recommended and aspirational targets set in personal development plans. Stays abreast of emerging technologies.
- Advocates for innovative, creative technology solutions. Mentors junior level engineers.
- Prior experience with using a specific application development toolkit and knowledge of a mainframe development language required (i.e., COBOL, DB2, CICS).
- Communications and organization skills; teamwork skills; possess strong interpersonal skills to support mentoring.
- Contributes to the achievement of area objectives.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, statistics or related discipline OR equivalent work experience is required.
- Nine to eleven (9-11) years of experience in software development is required.
- Experience in the securities or financial services industry is a plus.
- Understanding of interdependencies and business impact of future IT plans.
- Prior leadership experience selecting and implementing vendor-specific methodologies and prior consulting experience with structured methodologies.
- Extensive experience with developing and supporting Mainframe applications is required.
- Broad experience with multi-platform development tools and toolkits.
- Expert-level coding skills in Python, C++ or Java.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans. Our ambition is to build the best global team - one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve - and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums.
- Deep understanding of REST, gRPC and other API-related frameworks, concepts, and tools.
- Passion for high performance, low latency computing systems.
- Significant experience with real-time systems.
- Proficiency with AWS, Azure, or other cloud-based environments.
- Experience handling real-time market data feeds across asset classes and regions.
- Deep knowledge of time series database technologies.
- Experience in PostgreSQL, Redis and other DB solutions.
- Understanding of ML and optimization technologies.
- Understanding of financial engineering and mathematical finance concepts.
- UX Design experience.
- Version control software experience such as GIT and Gitlab.
- Containerization frameworks experience such as Docker.
- Integration and unit testing experience.
- Experience building ETL data pipelines.
- Automation frameworks experience such as Airflow.
- Experience with Bloomberg APIs such as Bloomberg Market Data Feed (B-PIPE).