Press Officer - Senior Director, Corporate Communications
At Fitch, we have an open culture where employees are able to exchange ideas and perspectives, throughout the organization, irrespective of their seniority. Your voice will be heard allowing you to have a real impact. We embrace diversity and appreciate authenticity, employees work in an environment where they can be their true selves. Our inclusive and progressive approach helps us to keep a balanced perspective.
With our expertise, we are not only creating data and information, but also producing timely insights from every angle to influence decision making in this ever changing and highly competitive market. We have a relentless hunger to innovate and unlock the power of human insights and to drive value for our customers. There has never been a better time to make an impact and we invite you to join us on this journey.
Fitch Ratings is a leading provider of credit ratings, commentary and research. Dedicated to providing value beyond the rating through independent and prospective credit opinions, Fitch Ratings offers global perspectives shaped by strong local market experience and credit market expertise. The additional context, perspective and insights we provide have helped fund a century of growth and enables you to make important credit judgments with confidence.
Part of Fitch Group Marketing, the Corporate Communications team protects and enhances Fitch Group's reputation with key stakeholders such as journalists, investors and other market participants - as well as the public. We seek to optimize Fitch's visibility through topical and timely communications delivered with strategic focus and strong operating discipline. We are a global team responsible for communications for all of Fitch Group's businesses spanning more than 30 countries. Within the Corporate Communications team, we have a dedicated Employee Communications team supporting employee communications and engagement. Job Description
The Fitch Group Corporate Communications team is currently seeking a Senior Director-level candidate for a Press Officer role based in New York. The candidate will be responsible for optimizing media visibility for research, ratings and commentary from Fitch Ratings, as well as promoting our other Fitch Group businesses, Fitch Solutions and Fitch Learning.
The candidate should have extensive corporate communications, media relations or journalism experience gained within the capital markets, financial or professional services sectors.
Reporting to the Head of Corporate Communications and working closely with colleagues across the globe, the candidate will be expected to play an important role in a highly-effective media relations team which manages relationships with print, broadcast and financial markets journalists, as well as protecting the reputation and position of Fitch.
As part of an integrated team, the candidate will work closely with specialists in social media, video, marketing and employee communications to deliver optimal visibility for a range of stakeholders. Core Responsibilities
• Work closely with Fitch Ratings analytical groups and other Fitch Group businesses to develop proactive communications strategies to enhance visibility in the media and relationships with reporters. Ensure that these strategies are aligned with the wider company strategy.
• Provide effective media relations counsel to senior management within Fitch Ratings analytical groups and Fitch Group businesses.
• Ensure broad, timely and relevant distribution of news about rating decisions, product developments and industry commentary.
• Write media releases based on research reports and develop other media collateral such as media pitches or reactive comments.
• Deal directly with broadcast, print, online and specialist reporters to ensure the optimal positioning of Fitch research and commentary.
• Respond to media enquiries and proactively engage with the media, as appropriate.
• Develop strong relationships with beat reporters covering the relevant analytical groups and businesses.
• Ensure regular interaction for analytical team members and senior management (as relevant) with media.
• Develop core messages for significant initiatives and press interviews.
• Lead media relations strategic planning for analytical groups and businesses supported.
• Provide cover support for other colleagues during busy periods or if they are away.
• Supervise compilation of Fitch's daily internal media newsletter in North America, which features prominent media mentions in key media.
• Support the work of Corporate Communications colleagues, contributing to the firm's broader strategic objectives and projects and providing senior counsel to the Head of Corporate Communications.
• Assist with ad-hoc corporate communications activities as required.
• Actively engage in the development of the team, both individually (mentoring more junior team members) and collectively.
• A confident self-starter able to operate autonomously, provide strong leadership and guidance, and shape the business' thinking on ongoing/new developments and issues.
• An effective communicator and assertive professional, able to work with senior managers and provide clear, insightful counsel with tact and diplomacy, while equally comfortable "pushing-back" for the benefit of the organisation as and when necessary.
• A role model for other team members, who provides energy and drive to the team's activities, as well as challenging and inspiring new ways of doing things.
• An innovative thinker with the flexibility to identify effective methods of packaging complex, market-sensitive messages for different audiences.
• Ability to "think globally" - proactively contribute ideas and work collaboratively in an international team. Desirable Skills/Experiences
• Bachelor's degree.
• Extensive experience in media relations/corporate communications (either agency or in-house) or journalism, preferably in capital markets, financial or professional services.
• Proven experience of regular dealings with broadcast and print journalists.
• Exceptional verbal, writing and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to create clear and straightforward content out of complex documents.
• Experience of operating under pressure in response to short media deadlines.
• Strong project management skills, covering both long and short-term initiatives.
• Good understanding of current and emerging social media trends
Fitch Group is a global leader in financial information services with operations in more than 30 countries. Wholly owned by the Hearst Corporation, we are comprised of three main businesses: Fitch Ratings | Fitch Solutions | Fitch Learning.
For more information please visit our websites: www.fitchratings.com | www.fitchsolutions.com | www.fitchlearning.com
Fitch is committed to providing global securities markets with objective, timely, independent and forward-looking credit opinions. To protect Fitch's credibility and reputation, our employees must take every precaution to avoid conflicts of interests or any appearance of a conflict of interest. Should you be successful in the recruitment process at Fitch Ratings you will be asked to declare any securities holdings and other potential conflicts prior to commencing employment. If you, or your immediate family, have any holdings that may conflict with your work responsibilities, you may be asked to divest yourself of them before beginning work.
Fitch is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.