Power Sector Analyst
- New York, NY, USA New York NY US
- Permanent, Full time
- S&P Global
- 19 Apr 18 2018-04-19
Power Sector Analyst
The Team: This role is part of North America Electric Markets Modeling team, which is part of Platts Analytics. The team is small and has a very flat structure. It interacts intensively (including sharing of inputs and outputs) with other parts of the organization like fuels, emissions and oil analysis teams. Most members of this team are part of the legacy PIRA Energy Group (www.pira.com), which recently became part of S&P Global.
The Impact: This position will have substantial responsibilities of research in elements affecting fuel and power markets (load, transmission, capacity tracking, regulations etc.), load modeling, and presenting results in both written reports and client-facing interactions.
What's in it for you:
- Opportunity to work with a thought leading and highly experienced team in the industry
- Develop career by interacting with cross-commodity teams within the firm
- Develop by interacting with clients on a regular basis
- Opportunity to grow into higher responsibility and/or broader market modeling roles
- Maintain, improve and develop inputs and outputs for North American electricity markets, working closely with other analytical staff within Platts
- Support Platts's newly integrated Gas and Power Group, which includes Emissions/Clean Energy and Coal
- Interact with clients to answer questions and present outlooks
- General support of the firm's consulting activities
- 2 (or more) years of experience in energy industry consulting, investment banking, equity research or equivalent professional experience
- Excellent communication skills. Must be able to effectively present forecasts and supporting materials to clients in regular reports, phone calls, emails, and web/live conferences.
- Innovative and strong problem-solving skills to streamline modeling processes and identify and implement improvements
- Strong attention to detail
- Understanding of algorithms. Ability to code in one or more of VBA /R /.Net / Python
- Ability to assess impact of policy issues influencing electricity markets
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in economics, statistics, mathematics, or a similar field, with experience in quantitative analysis and forecasting.
- Expert in Microsoft Excel. At ease managing and creating Excel models, and using features such as pivot tables, matrix formulas and other advanced Excel functionality.
- Successful candidates will possess a strong entrepreneurial spirit, be highly self-directed and be able to work well under tight deadlines
- Experience in using Aurora modeling software or similar electricity modeling software
- Experience in analyzing Mexican and/or Canadian power markets
- Understanding of MS Access / SQL