Portfolio Optimization Engineering Manager, Aladdin Wealth Tech
Description About this role
At BlackRock, we are looking for Software Engineers who like to innovate and solve complex problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your unique skills, curiosity, drive, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
With over USD $7 trillion of assets we have an exceptional responsibility: our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial wellbeing.
Being a developer at BlackRock means you get the best of both worlds: working for one of the most advanced financial companies and also being part of a software development team responsible for next generation technology and solutions. The Aladdin Wealth Enterprise Business Unit Overview:
We are a fast-growing FinTech business operating within BlackRock Solutions, and our mission is to leverage the power of BlackRock's data, scale, and financial models to give financial advisors the edge they need to build better portfolios and deliver better outcomes to their end customers. Our product is a B2B enterprise SaaS offering that analyzes millions of real portfolios around the world every day and we generate direct revenues for the firm. We operate as one cohesive unit spanning client, product, and engineering, and we pride ourselves on getting things done and delivering new business value quickly and frequently. We are passionate about finding new ways to deliver better portfolios and outcomes to millions of people around the world using technology and data. Job Purpose/Background:
We are growing our Product Engineering team and are looking for a dedicated, ambitious individual who can lead and manage the Portfolio Optimization team in architecting, developing, and deploying portfolio optimization capabilities as APIs and core libraries for wealth management use cases. The optimization product is used by our globally distributed clients to manage their portfolios at scale through our end-to-end system, and our optimization capabilities are sophisticated, highly customizable, and tax aware. As part of your role, you will set the technical direction, organize the team via Agile processes, implement and support new optimization features, develop individuals on the team, and partner with stakeholders to set the roadmap.
Your team will be based in New York, and your partners in the broader engineering team span the US, London, Singapore, and India. We work directly with client-facing teams supporting live clients in over 15 countries. Key Responsibilities:
- Lead and manage a team of software engineers working in Java and Kotlin to deliver high scale tax-aware portfolio optimization capabilities as interactive APIs and core libraries
- Be a hands-on engineer by developing, reviewing, and releasing code yourself as part of the team
- Provide ownership and accountability for the optimization codebase and API deployments
- Partner with Product Management, Research, and Client teams to improve the optimization offering and establish the roadmap
- Execute on and evolve the SDLC to build new value-add optimization features
- Establish and formalize the engagement model between Engineering, Research, and Product for scoping, prioritization, issue triage, and model acceptance
- Build tools and processes to support back-testing for model changes
- Rethink and re-architect the optimization offering to enable greater scale across client-specific and region-specific use cases
- Work with other engineering team managers and partners to continuously improve operational processes and procedures
- Continually improve the reliability, stability, and performance of portfolio optimization API's and related operational processes
- 5+ years of professional experience, including 2+ years managing, mentoring, and developing engineers
- Experience architecting and deploying enterprise-grade services in Java or other JVM based language
- Interest in software optimization libraries and familiarity with optimization concepts
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal
- Familiarity with portfolio analysis and portfolio optimization is a plus
- Able to work independently with minimal direction to lead tactical and strategic projects
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.