Market Risk Portfolio Analysis – Vice President
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley USA
- 22 Oct 18
Market Risk Portfolio Analysis – Vice President
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
The talent and passion of our people is critical to our continued success as a firm. Together, we share four core values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic:
1. Putting Clients First
2. Doing the Right Thing
3. Leading with Exceptional Ideas
4. Giving Back
Morgan Stanley is committed to helping its employees build meaningful careers and we strive to be a place for people to learn, achieve and grow.
Firm Risk Management
Firm Risk Management (FRM) enables Morgan Stanley to achieve its business goals by partnering with business units across the Firm to realize efficient risk-adjusted returns, acting as a strategic advisor to the Board and protecting the Firm from exposure to losses as a result of credit, market, liquidity, operational, model and other risks.
You will collaborate with colleagues across FRM and the Firm to protect the Firm's capital base and franchise, advise businesses and clients on risk mitigating strategies, develop tools and methodologies to analyze and monitor risk, contribute to key regulatory initiatives and report on risk exposures and metrics to enable informed and strategic decision-making. Through thoughtful analysis and clear communication we are best able to bring our ideas to the table and improve the Firm.
Firm Risk Management values diversity and is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees.
Firm Risk Management's unique franchise promotes:
ü Flat, flexible and integrated global organization
ü Collaboration and teamwork
ü Credible, independent decision-making
ü Organizational influence
ü Creative and practical solutions
ü Meritocratic and diverse culture
Background on the Position
The role will reside within the Firm Risk Management's Market Risk Portfolio Analysis team, based in New York. The Market Risk Department (MRD) provides independent risk management oversight across trading and investment activities conducted by the Firm. Market Risk Portfolio Analysis is a key component of the Market Risk Department, responsible for monitoring, analyzing, and reporting the Firm's risk profile across all business areas and serving as a central point of contact for a wide range of stakeholders.
This role involves a diverse range of risk management responsibilities, including in-depth analysis and presentation of risk information to a variety of audiences. Collaboration with various teams across the Risk Department, including Risk Managers, Stress Testing, Capital, Risk Technology, and other control groups is a key feature of the role.
To be successful, candidates will possess relevant experience, a strong desire to learn, and the ability to produce detailed and accurate risk analyses for senior management and regulators, often under tight timelines. It is therefore essential that candidates are able to demonstrate diligence as well as strong quantitative and investigative skills. As the candidate will be working with many different constituents, outstanding oral and written communication skills are essential and prior managerial experience would be a plus.
· Identify and analyze risk across all business areas and asset classes
· Perform daily analysis and commentary on market risk exposures, VaR, and stress test metrics for senior management
· Continuously monitor financial markets and economic conditions to identify emerging risks that could impact the firm
· Engage and build relationships with colleagues across the firm to develop an understanding of risk issues that could affect the firm
· Create and deliver presentations to articulate key risks to senior management
· Lead projects, coordinate ad-hoc analysis, and serve as a key point of contact across market risk stakeholders
· Develop tools to better understand and communicate drivers of risk
· Collaborate with external groups to present changes in management risk metrics
· Participate in stress scenario development, including risk identification, scenario design, and analysis of stress test results
· Self-motivated, experienced professional who enjoys learning about financial risks, collaborating within a team and interacting with various groups on a daily basis
· Highly developed oral and written communication skills which can be used to prepare and present risk information to a variety of audiences
· Knowledge of financial products is essential
· Understanding of risk management concepts such as scenario analysis, VaR, stress testing, risk measures/greeks, and regulatory capital frameworks
· Strong proficiency with a variety of technology tools, examples may include PowerPoint, Excel, VBA, R, and SQL
1. Academic achievement in a quantitative discipline, such as economics, finance, sciences, or engineering (Required). Master's degree or higher is preferred
2. Minimum of 5 years of experience in market risk or related function (Required)
3. Prior managerial experience (Preferred)