Manager, Recovery and Resolution Planning
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley USA
- 15 Oct 18
Manager, Recovery and Resolution Planning
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Professionals within Legal and Compliance provide a wide range of services to our business units. They might help to structure a complex and sensitive cross-border transaction; advise on a new product introduction; develop a training program or defuse an investor dispute. They preserve the firm's invaluable reputation for integrity and protect the firm from sanctions with policies and procedures that meet regulatory requirements around the world. They also strive to maintain cooperative relationships with governmental policy makers and the regulatory and self-regulatory agencies that govern the firm's businesses.
Background on the Team:
The Firm's Recovery and Resolution Planning Team (the "Firm RRP Team") is in the Legal and Compliance Department, led by the Head of Recovery and Resolution Planning and reports to the Global Head of Regulatory Affairs. The Firm RRP Team's primary responsibilities include the:
- Development and maintenance of the Firm's recovery plans to maintain adequate levels of capital and liquidity and business model viability even in the face of extreme stress (resiliency);
- Development and maintenance of the Firm's resolution strategies to wind down in a rapid and orderly manner during bankruptcy without causing any systemic impacts domestically or internationally (resolvability);
- Confirmation that the Firm is maintaining adequate capabilities, processes and policies to ensure the Firm's continued resiliency and resolvability through time;
- Remediation of impediments to the execution of the Firm's recovery plans or resolution strategies; and
- Engagement with domestic and international regulators, including the Federal Reserve, FDIC, OCC, PRA and Japan FSA, on all things RRP.
The Firm RRP Team works closely with numerous business unit and support functions throughout the Firm and leads the Firm's efforts in responding to all RRP-related regulatory requirements and inquiries. A qualified individual joining the team will have a unique opportunity to liaise with numerous senior stakeholders within LCD and other divisions throughout the Firm.
The Firm RRP Team is seeking to hire a qualified individual with a legal, compliance and/or financial services background at the Manager level. This individual will be an integral part of the Firm RRP Team, report to an officer on the team and have a diversity of responsibilities that include:
- Maintaining the Firm's contracts policy in coordination with legal leads for each business unit and support function in the Firm, including refreshes to the policy's divisional supplements, reviews of key terms in critical contracts for consistency with the policy, contracts repository management, technological contracts solutions and policy training of applicable personnel;
- Remediating contractual terms in cash and custody account agreements, vendor agreements and certain other agreements by liaising with in house counsel and external counterparties and their counsel;
- Facilitating the drafting, execution and maintenance of resolution-related agreements (e.g., support agreement, security agreement) and perfection of security interests in funding vehicles' contributable assets for the benefit of material subsidiaries by working with external bankruptcy counsel and relevant Legal, Tax, Finance, Corporate Treasury and Operations subject matter experts throughout the Firm;
- Facilitating the drafting and review and challenge of governance related documents and support of exercise of director's fiduciary duties for certain of the Firm's legal entities;
- Managing RRP corporate governance processes to ensure appropriate review and challenge of RRP filings, with particular focus on documentation related to governance, and the exercise of fiduciary duties in coordination with the Firm's Corporate Secretarial group and general counsels of certain of the Firm's legal entities;
- Directing an inter-affiliate agreements working group including key stakeholders across numerous divisions to ensure various inter-affiliate agreements are consistent with the Firm's resolution-related agreements in BAU and throughout any resolution continuum; and
- If admitted to practice, providing general legal advisory on items of direct or indirect relevance to RRP.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Bachelor's degree, Juris Doctor a plus but not required;
- Ability to understand regulations and complex agreements
- Relevant financial industry or legal experience a plus, but not required,;
- Ability to work autonomously and within a team; and to problem solve;
- Ability to present to senior management, regulators and other key internal and external stakeholders;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint and Excel; and
- Ability to provide strong attention to detail.