Legal Entity Controller
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley USA
- 22 Feb 18 2018-02-22
Legal Entity Controller
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm's books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
The Financial Control Group (FCG) is responsible for overseeing the accounting and financial and regulatory reporting for the Firm. FCG prepares external financial reports for public filings and regulators. For internal reporting FCG, along with Financial Planning and Analysis (FPA), summarizes, plans and forecasts the organization's financial position, including income statements, balance sheets, and analyses of future revenues, expenses and earnings. FCG is comprised of Business Unit Controllers, Infrastructure Controllers, Accounting, Regulatory and Reporting groups, and Valuation Review.
The Firm has established a set of Legal Entity Rationalization (LER) Criteria that serve to promote a rational and resolvable legal entity structure for Morgan Stanley. The Legal Entity Governance Office (LEGO) assists with managing and sustaining the Firm's legal entity governance framework, which includes oversight of the LER Criteria assessment framework.
The Senior Manager role for LEGO will have oversight responsibilities for the LER Criteria assessment framework, which consists of underlying indicators, guidance and RAG statuses that help to substantiate the processes, capabilities and governance that exist for each LER Criterion. The Senior Manager's responsibilities will involve:
- Working closely with LER Criteria Indicator owners and key stakeholders (including the Recovery and Resolution Planning Group, Corporate Treasury, Risk Management, etc.) to ensure objectives and requirements of the LER Criteria assessment process are met
- Reviewing & assessing indicator and governance evidence submitted by LER Criteria Indicator owners; includes assessing potential gaps
- Working with LER Criteria Indicator owners to set RAG statuses for indicator and governance evidence and, assessing proposed exceptions and remediation efforts
- Supporting review and challenge sessions covering LER Criteria assessment results with executive sponsors and relevant stakeholders
- Assist in summarizing and presenting all LER Criteria assessment results, including exceptions, proposed remediation efforts, and interim updates to the Global Legal Entity Oversight & Governance Committee
- Drafting overview materials which detail Legal Entity Rationalization efforts, capabilities and results for inclusion in both the Firm's Title I Resolution Plan, and for use in Agency Survey meetings
- Oversight of all tools/applications used in supporting the LER Criteria assessment processes (e.g. SharePoint sites)
- Coordinating with other LEGO staff on legal entity governance related responsibilities *LI-ND1
- Bachelor degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or related fields
- 7+ years of professional experience
- Experience with high profile regulatory initiatives or submissions (e.g. Recovery & Resolution, CCAR, etc.) a plus
- Ability to analyze & interpret financial, operational and legal data/input, and draw persuasive conclusions for presentation to senior stakeholders
- Effective relationship building and partnering skills; ability to collaborate with all levels of management and corporate partners
- Strong verbal & written communication skills
- Proficient in MS Office and related applications; experience with SharePoint sites required (i.e. ability to make creative and effective use of the tool) *LI-ND1