Legal - Assistant General Counsel - Corporate & Investment Bank, Public Finance - ED
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM)is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion andoperations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financialservices for consumers and small business, commercial banking, financialtransaction processing, and asset management. A component of the Dow JonesIndustrial Average, JPMorgan Chase& Co. serves millions of consumers in theUnited States and many of the world's most prominent corporate, institutionaland government clients under its J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Informationabout JPMorgan Chase & Co. is available at www.jpmorganchase.com .
The Legal Department of JPMorganChase & Co is responsible for the provision of legal services to theCorporation and is organized by practice groups that generally align with theCorporation's lines of business and corporate staff areas. This structureencourages communication between legal teams and businesses and staff.
An attorney is needed tosupport J.P. Morgan's Public Finance business in the Americas. Public Financeis responsible for the firm's relationships with public sector clients and createssolutions for the complex financing needs of state and local governments,non-profit institutions and certain corporations that issue debt in thetax-exempt and taxable capital markets. Theattorney position will be responsible for advising the Public Finance businesson all relevant legal and regulatory matters, including relevant securitieslaws and the SEC's Municipal Advisor Rule. The attorney will be responsible for serving on both the Public Financeunderwriting commitments committee and engagements committee, and will beprimarily responsible for reviewing and negotiating certain agreements relatedto bond underwritings, such as bond purchase agreements. In addition, theattorney will provide guidance on public finance related advisory mandates andreview engagement letters for such mandates. The attorney will also supervise externalcounsel, handle various knowledge management and other projects to support theinternal legal team and will assist bankers and internal lawyers in respondingto "request for proposal" documents received from clients regarding potentialservices. The attorney will work with a team of internal lawyers and willalso interact with bankers, compliance partners, the conflicts office andexternal counsels on a regular basis.
The successful candidate shouldhave a law degree and preferably will have at least 10 years ofexperience as a practicing attorney and at least 5 years of experience workingas a public finance/municipal bond attorney in a law firm or equivalentin-house position at a financial services firm. Candidates with less thatthe above levels of experience may also be considered for a reduced title. The successful candidate should also have thefollowing personal attributes:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong drafting skills;
- Strong negotiation skills;
- Ability to learn about and understand sophisticated financial transactions and products and to navigate often complex legal, business and conflicts issues;
- Ability to interact effectively with clients and with all levels of an organization both internally and externally;
- Ability to work independently and multitask successfully in a demanding, fast-paced transactional environment.
- JD or educational equivalent required. Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located (expected to be NY) prior to commencement of employment.
- All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment.