Lead Java Developer, Web Technology
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley USA
- 16 Oct 18
Lead Java Developer, Web Technology
Morgan Stanley is a global financial services firm and a market leader in investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. With offices in more than 43 countries, the people of Morgan Stanley are dedicated to providing our clients the finest thinking, products and services to help them achieve even the most challenging goals.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. We embrace integrity, excellence, team work and giving back.
The Technology division partners with our business units and leading technology companies to redefine how we do business in ever more global and dynamic financial markets.
Our sizeable investment in technology results in leading-edge tools, software, and systems. Our insights, applications, and infrastructure give a competitive edge to clientsâ€™ businessesâ€"and to our own.
Institutional Securities Technology (IST) develops and oversees the overall technology strategy and bespoke technology solutions to drive and enable the Institutional businesses and enterprise-wide functions. Our clients include Fixed Income, Equities, Commodities, Investment Banking, Research and Global Capital Markets as well as Operations, HR and Corporate Services.
We are looking for a team lead that is passionate about web technology and wants to contribute to the design and development of Morgan Stanleyâ€™s premier client facing portal platform: Matrix (http://www.morganstanley.com/matrixinfo/).
The client platform development team (cpdev) is responsible for the application infrastructure, middleware, and front end engineering that enables businesses to reach premier clients. The platform provides the entitlements, security, and administrative infrastructure that back the firmâ€™s entire internet facing applications for the ISG business, including mobile (https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/morgan-stanley-matrix/id501786735?mt=8).
We are a global team with members in New York, Montreal, London, Budapest, and India. Our tech stack includes modern presentation tier frameworks and JVM based middleware. We use combination of open source, commercial, and proprietary GUI and server side toolkits to deliver robust web and mobile application infrastructure to the business. These range from jQuery, Angular, ExtJS, SenchaTouch on the browser, to Tomcat, Jetty, JAX-RS, Spring, Scala, and Java on the server. We embrace polyglot programming, and use the right tool for the job.
Your activities will include:
- Leading in the design, architecture and roadmap of the platform
- Communicating with BU and IT stakeholders
- Managing junior developer resource(s)
- Ensure projects are delivered on time and within budget
- Providing 3rd line support for production applications, resolve production issues in a timely manner
- Core Java Web. Experience with web services
- Expert Object Oriented Design: You can easily create reusable GUI and server side components and deliver robust APIs that other developers are happy to use.
- Experience with large-scale, real-time, business critical systems
- System architecture experience (especially 3/N-Tier applications)
- Experience in Database design and database programming
- Excellent communication skills
- You take the initiative to propose ideas and air concerns
- Strong working ability in local and global teams
- Experience and knowledge wider than Java/web is a plus: dynamic languages, functional programming, linux shell scripting, build tools
- Experience with Sybase / DB2 preferred
- No specific business knowledge is required but a healthy interest in all of the firmâ€™s lines of business is valuable in understanding and responding to the needs of the varied application and infrastructure teams we work with
- No prior people managing experience is required but is preferred
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximize their full potential