Junior Investment Advisory Attorney
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley USA
- 18 Oct 18
Junior Investment Advisory Attorney
Wealth Management Junior Investment Advisory Attorney
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Professionals within Legal and Compliance provide a wide range of services to our business units. They might help to structure a complex and sensitive cross-border transaction; advise on a new product introduction; develop a training program or defuse an investor dispute. They preserve the firm's invaluable reputation for integrity and protect the firm from sanctions with policies and procedures that meet regulatory requirements around the world. They also strive to maintain cooperative relationships with governmental policy makers and the regulatory and self-regulatory agencies that govern the firm's businesses.
Background on the Team
Morgan Stanley Wealth Management is one of the largest retail broker-dealers and serves the needs of individuals and small and mid-sized institutional clients through a network of over 15,000 financial advisors located throughout the US. The Attorney will be part of an Investment Advisory law team currently consisting of five attorneys and will be a member of a broader group of attorneys servicing Morgan Stanley Wealth Management's products and services. The team serves as legal advisors to Morgan Stanley's Consulting Group investment advisory business. Consulting Group is one of the largest investment advisors in the world with more than $1 trillion under management. Recent growth of Consulting Group's business has been very strong. The advisory legal team works hand-in-hand with the management of Consulting Group on a daily basis. The Attorney will be located in Midtown Manhattan.
- Provide day-to-day legal support for traditional Consulting Group investment advisory platform, including the drafting of disclosure documents and client and manager agreements as well as advising on issues relating to trading, best execution, trade allocation, operational issues, investment allocations, client fee structures and cross-trading. Assist with regulatory filings, including the Form ADV.
- Provide legal support and advice related to the implementation of a digital investment advisory platform as well as other digital initiatives in Wealth Management, including drafting client disclosure and agreements and analyzing current regulatory guidance.
- Dealing with relevant regulators, especially the S.E.C.
- Ability to liaise with other Legal Department areas as well as Compliance and Risk.
Skills Required (essential)
- 3 years or more of experience in dealing with issues arising under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and related federal securities laws.
- Conversant in general investment issues.
- Ability to interface effectively with investment personnel as well as clients and their counsel
- Experience in drafting disclosure documents and contracts.
- Experience in new product processes.
- Familiarity with regulatory processes (SEC and FINRA).
- Understanding of the evolving nature of digital investment products and related digital tools.
This position open to the Vice President level.