Java Software Engineer - Investment Compliance
Description About this role
Are you interested in building innovative technology that shapes the financial markets? Do you like working at the speed of a startup, but want to solve some of the world's most complex problems? Do you want to work with, and learn from, hands-on leaders in technology and finance?
At BlackRock, we are looking for Software Engineers who like to innovate and solve complex problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your unique skills, curiosity, drive, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
With over USD $7 trillion of assets we have an exceptional responsibility: our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial wellbeing.
Being a developer at BlackRock means you get the best of both worlds: working for one of the most advanced financial companies and also being part of a software development team responsible for next generation technology and solutions.
What is Aladdin and the Aladdin Product Group (APG)?
You will be working on BlackRock's investment operating system Aladdin. Aladdin is used both internally and externally by many financial institutions. Aladdin combines sophisticated risk analytics with comprehensive portfolio management, trading and operations tools on a single platform to power informed decision-making and create a connective tissue for thousands of users investing worldwide.
Our development team's sit inside APG. We collaboratively build the next generation of technology that changes the way information, people, and technology intersect for global investment firms. We build and package tools that manage trillions in assets and supports millions of financial instruments. We perform risk calculations and process millions of transactions for thousands of users every day worldwide!
The Investment Compliance team is responsible for developing and maintaining tools to ensure that organizations using Aladdin® are in compliance at different stages of the asset management process. This includes ensuring that clients are in compliance with guidelines established internally, by themselves, and by the market regulators. The system accomplishes this through high-throughput rule-based compliance engines, which sit at the heart of the investment system and process millions of calculations per day.
Being a member of the compliance team you will be:
- Tenacious: Work in a fast paced and highly-complex environment
- Creative thinker: Analyze multiple solutions and deploy technologies in a flexible way
- Great teammate: Think and work collaboratively and communicate effectively
- Quick-learner: Pick up new concepts and apply them quickly
- Lead individual projects priorities, deadlines and deliverables using AGILE methodologies
- Deliver high efficiency, high availability, concurrent and fault tolerant software systems
- Significantly contribute to development of Aladdin's global, multi-asset trading platform
- Provide impact and expertise as a senior individual contributor in building various capabilities of the compliance system, including developing a next-gen compliance rule evaluation engine, a new compliance reporting platform and rule management tool.
- Work with product management and business users to define the roadmap for the product
- Design and develop innovative solutions to complex problems, identifying issues and roadblocks
- Be a leader with vision and a partner in brainstorming solutions for team productivity, efficiency, guiding and motivating developers.
- 3+ years hands-on experience in Java / Scala.
- In depth understanding of concurrent programming and experience in designing high throughput, high availability, fault tolerant distributed applications is required.
- Expertise in building distributed applications using NOSQL technologies like Cassandra, coordination services like Zookeeper, and micro services architecture / SOA is required.
- Proficiency in streaming technologies including Kafka.
- Understanding of relational databases is a must
- Strong analytical and software architecture design skills with an emphasis on test driven development.
- Effective communication and presentation skills (written and verbal) are required
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or engineering preferred.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of September 30, 2020, the firm managed approximately $7.81 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock .
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.