Investment Officer, P3
Duty Station: New York, US
Closing Period: 23 February 2023
Job Opening Number: 199255
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Secretary-General is responsible for the investment of the assets of the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF). The Secretary-General has delegated this responsibility to the Representative of the Secretary-General for the investment of the assets of the UNJSPF (RSG). The RSG is, in turn, assisted in this function by the Office of Investment Management (OIM). OIM manages approximately $70+ billion multi-asset class, global investment portfolio, about 85% of which is actively managed in-house. Asset classes under management comprise of global equities, fixed income, foreign exchange, private equity, real estate, infrastructure, timber and commodities. OIM’s staff are all based in New York but come from over 30 countries. For more information please visit OIM's website at https://oim.unjspf.org/.
This position is located in the Europe Team of OIM. The incumbent reports to the Senior Investment Officer.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Investment Officer, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
Assists the Senior Investment Officer to manage and invest the assets of the Fund in public Europe and Israel equity markets.
- Balances long-term strategic goals with short-term performance objectives to outperform return benchmarks.
- Monitors the various portfolio holdings and conduct appropriate security analysis at the direction of the Senior Investment Officer.
- Complies with the Investment Policy Statement, investment parameters and processes as outlined in the Investments Procedures, and risk control parameters as outlined in the Risk Manual, with the objective of generating stable excess returns over the calendar year and rolling 3-year periods versus the benchmark while remaining within the allocated risk budget, investment guidelines, and other limits approved from time to time by the Risk Committee of OIM.
- Integrates OIM’s approach to Sustainable Investing into investment analysis, while remaining entirely consistent with OIM's fiduciary responsibility for the assets of the Fund.
- Contributes actively to market-related discussions within the Europe Equities Team, at the Weekly Investment Meeting to which all OIM staff are invited, and to the deliberations of other committees and meetings to which s/he may be invited from time to time.
- Assists with analysis and presentations to support the Quarterly Performance Review meeting with the RSG and other members of the senior management team.
- Conducts portfolio analysis using risk tools and analytical tools.
Conducts careful and thorough investment research.
- Reviews and analyzes information from various sources including the financial community, on-site visits and meetings with company managements, and ESG databases
- Performs fundamental analysis through review of financial statements, corporate announcements, market news and other publicly available information.
- Reviews investment research and discuss with strategists, economists, security analysts through brokerage community and the Advisors/Research providers.
- Engages with senior members of corporate management to review their business and corporate strategies.
- Attends investment conferences and seminars to access academia and industry experts.
Makes specific investment recommendations.
- Ensures the Fund's four investments criteria: i.e. safety, profitability, liquidity, and convertibility.
- Makes specific investment recommendations to achieve the objective of achieving stable excess returns versus the benchmark consistent with allocated risk budget, approved investment guidelines, and other limits.
- Integrates material ESG considerations in stock selection to conform to OIM's approach to Sustainable Investing.
- Presents and discusses investment recommendations to the Senior Investment Officer of Europe Equities.
- Participates in the discussions and development of investment recommendations for asset allocation for the Fund.
- Reports accurately and timely to the Representative of the Secretary-General for the Investments of the UNJSPF, Chief Investment Officer and the Director of Public Equities of OIM, when requested.
- Prepare Performance Review periodically and supports the Senior Investment Officer in the Quarterly Performance Review.
- Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
Advanced university degree (Master's or equivalent) in Business Administration (MBA), Finance, Economics or related filed is required. A first level university degree in combination with academic qualifications and experience in investment management may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree. Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation is desirable.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in investment analysis covering European equity markets is required.
Experience in investment analysis covering Israel equities or Financial Services sector is desirable.
Buyside experience is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
For more information on how to apply, please follow: https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=199255&Lang=en-US