IT Application Architect
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley USA
- 18 Oct 18
IT Application Architect
The IT Application Architect is part of the Transformation, Enablement and Arhcitecture (TEA) group. The group is responsible for broad cross functional IT-driven inititative such as cloud automation and devops/agile. One of the missions of the team is to provide architectural guidance and foster collaboration across our Enterprise Technology and Risk teams. The team supports a broad range of technical areas including cross-platform architecture and delivery of critical infrastructure capabilities. The IT Application Architect will work on multiple architecture engagements across the enterprise either as a single contributor, or participating in a virtual team across business units. The candidate works with team members (IT, Business, Suppliers, Stakeholders and Partners) globally to address team?s mission. To be successful as a team member the candidate must have broad technology experience coupled with strong communication, influencing and time management skills.
1. Lead architecture consulting to construct Application and Infrastructure Architectures for a business unit or infrastructure Technology team
2. Consulting with application teams to understand high level business goals, and to advise on application architectures that promote those goals
3. Analysis of infrastructure solutions and advising on enhancements and features that are required by the application architectures
4. Working with document writers to product blueprints that can be re-used across the firm
5. Ensuring consistency of approach across teams
Soft Skills (Required)
1. Excellent communication skills: written, oral, presentation, listening
2. Ability to influence through factual reasoning
3. Time management: ability to handle multiple concurrent assessments, plan based deliverable management, strong follow up and tracking
4. Strong focus on delivery when presented with short timelines and increased involvement from senior management
5. Ability to adjust communication of technology risks vs business risks based on the audience
6. Ability to operate in multiple virtual teams, directly manage teams, or ability to operate as a sole-contributor
Application Architecture Skills
1. Required - Real world experience implementing modern application and infrastructure design patterns, including micro-services and containers, disposable, reactive, stateless and distributed patterns
2. Required ? Experience of Internet Scale application concerns
3. Required ? In depth knowledge of application, network and platform security vulnerabilities
4. Required ? Experience in conducting Information Security, Security Architecture, Audit assessments
5. Required ? Good knowledge of public cloud solutions and how developers should make best use of their facilities
6. Required ? Strong focus on reviewing technical designs and functional requirements to identify areas of Security weakness.
7. Required ? The candidate must have working experience in the following application/network security domains:
a. Authentication: SAML, SiteMinder, Kerberos, OpenId
b. Entitlements and identity management
c. Data protection, data leakage prevention and secure data transfer and storage
d. App Security - validation checking, software attack methodologies
8. Desired ? Knowledge of standard network model and the risks that present at each layer, the functions of network equipment such as switches, routers, firewalls, proxies, vpn, and load-balancers, and to understand network architecture.
9. Desired - The candidate must have working knowledge of the primary operating systems (Unix, Windows, z/OS, Mac OS), the configuration and management of that platform at an enterprise scale, the security risks to that platform, and how to mitigate those risks.
1. Required ? Even though the role is not a development role, the candidate must have previous background in programming, design and application architecture
2. Desired ? The candidate must have experience implementing complex applications in an enterprise environment.
4. Desired ? In-depth knowledge of web technologies such as Web Browsers, Web Servers, Web Services
Other Areas of Expertise (Desired)
1. Frameworks, protocols and subsystems: J2EE, .NET, Spring, RPC, SOAP, MQSeries, JMS, RMI, JMX, Hibernate.
3. Database design and programming experience
4. Experience of liaising with 3rd Party Entities (exchanges, suppliers, regulators)
5. Previous experience in Financial Services is preferred
6. CISSP or other industry qualification
7. Experience working with global organizations
Bachelor?s Degree with minimum 7 years relevant work experience in high-paced, enterprise environment.