The role is for a Head of Workplace Services, Americas who is responsible for managing the Workplace Services Department in New York and accountable for the effective and efficient operation of the workplace services function for the Americas region, The Workplace Services team is responsible for providing a secure, safe and sound environment for all staff working in the Schroders offices. This role reports directly the Global Head of Workplace Services, based in London with local management oversight based in New York.
The New York Workplace Services team covers a broad range of services, including but not limited to:
- Devising real estate strategies including managing real estate transactions
- Project management and space planning
- Hard services delivery and management
- Oversight of soft services delivery and management
- Internal client and vendor relationship management
- Supporting environmental management and reporting
- Budget management
- Responsibility for large and small scale project works
- Business as usual change initiatives
- Supporting business continuity management and budgeting
New York Office Responsibilities Operational Support:
- Working with Workplace Services, London across workplace strategy, sustainability reporting, sustainability mitigation initiatives and real estate projects, combining space and contractual requirements for the Americas region
- Help to develop long term real estate strategies and support with implementation for the region
- Manage property transaction processes and be a pro-active advocate for developing workplace solutions. The role will be expected to deliver certain projects autonomously
- Interact with multiple stakeholders including internal clients and team members from multiple work streams, as well as working with several external consultants
- Assist with all aspects of design, engineering, scheduling, sustainability, and budgeting for new projects in region including site assessment, conceptual design, basis of design, scope of work, and development of construction documents.
- Track, monitor and report on status of all real estate, health and safety, sustainability and physical security initiatives including preparation of required deliverables.
- Support sustainability initiatives for the region to reduce emissions and align with Group sustainability commitments
- Responsible for collating, verifying and uploading all utility, water and waste data to the environmental sustainability reporting tool for the region
- Maintain an effective and efficient office operational support for all functions and all staff
- Responsible for the design and smooth running of office operational support (non-IT and trade related) for the organisation; including the identification and resolution of issues in a timely manner
- Communicate with key stakeholders across all seniority levels
- Manage the assets (non-IT related) in the organisation
- Coordinate with relevant vendor on troubleshooting of office equipment.
- Review and approve all Workplace Services invoices
- Work with Group Procurement for any purchases that are valued at GBP25k or more per year.
- Responsible for compliance with internal and external regulations on buildings, office space, safety and security
- Control and manage CCTV images, if required
- Manage and oversee day-to-day facilities related matters including outsourced vendors like housekeeping team
- Manage and co-ordinate office lease-related matters
- Maintain and ensure a secure, safe and sound work environment for the organization
- Act as emergency contact personnel with the Landlord
- Act as point of contact for building maintenance problems
- Monitor and control all access to building and office by staff and visitors, including the issuance and deletion of office security access card for Schroders and the issuance of new card or deactivation of lost cards for the turnstiles at office building lobby managed by Landlord
- Project manage and coordinate with relevant stakeholders/workgroup on office renovation, office move or restack activities
- Maintain iSO14001 accreditation for the New York office and support emission reduction initiatives
Health & Safety:
- Execute the Group BCM program.
- Liaise with external parties in ensuring the adequacy of recovery plans of key Workplace Services' service providers.
- Support all BCM-lead initiatives such as industry-wide exercises.
- Coordinate and conduct business recovery exercises with the business units to validate the recovery strategies of business units on a regular basis in alignment with Schroders group policies and standards, as well as local equivalents
- Liaise with all the departments to update their Business Impact Analysis in the Global BCM tool, Continuity Squared.
- Point of contact, in collaboration with HR, H&S and senior leadership, , for pandemic-related matters.
- Assist the RFP team if there are questions relating to BCP matters.
- Chair and co-ordinate any BCP/IMT meetings, as needed to ensure the CAO or IMT could decide on the right course of action in an emergency.
- Manage and maintain third party recovery site.
- Regularly collaborate on remote working strategies with Technology teams
- Responsible for and participate in IMT planning and documentation as well as membership for all associated facilities and building related inquires
- Responsible for compliance with internal and external regulations
- Execute the Group H&S program
- Point of contact for all H&S matters for the New York office
Knowledge, essential skills and attributes:
- Continuously identify and drive cost savings opportunities and efficiencies
- Work closely with Finance on items including but not limited to Accounts Payable or Accruals matter
- Always look out for new opportunities to improve services while containing costs
- Building and site management degree or equivalent vocational experience within
- Building technical expertise including Capital and Cost management expertise
- Constantly develop specialised skills and in the team that enable them to produce work efficiently and at an effective cost
- Keep abreast of all relevant legislation and ensure compliance
- Keep abreast of best practice and industry trends
- Proven record of delivery of planned benefits against a business plan
- Risk aware
- Problem solver
- Tact, discretion and diplomacy
- Ability to analyse problems and recommend / implement solutions
- Strong analysis and decision making skills, with keen attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills - Ability to report to senior management at Group level, local level and across jurisdictions
- Management experience and ability to coordinate the activities of a number of teams or specialists covering a range of fields in Financial and non-Financial Services Operations
- Experience of working with outsource service providers and external advisors
- Developing of new ideas that will result in significant changes to the existing services, methods, policies and/or approaches of Schroders. Such role will involve research, analysis and reasoned arguments
- Responsible for the detailed planning of major initiatives and /or objectives and activities of a business function for the year ahead
- Requirement to advise on key decisions that will have a significant financial and/or operational impact on Schroders. Previous solutions may not always be available. Situations will be complex, involving a considerable grey area
- High level of attention to detail - Driven to provide quality & consistency
- Team worker and player. Works as a self-starter and able to be proactive and work under their own initiative
- Takes enthusiastic part in defining the team's vision and goals and shares responsibility with the team leader for their achievement
- Has a very good insight into and is respectful of colleagues' personalities, approaches and aspirations; encourages and supports colleagues' ideas and initiatives
- Sets an example by high quality of own work, consistency, enthusiasm and an open and professional attitude to work, clients and colleagues
- Generates enthusiasm and a 'can do' atmosphere; creates an affiliative, innovative and fun workplace; celebrates success
Coaching and Mentoring:
- Plans, organises and prioritises own and others' time very well; works to given timeframes; responds promptly to all administrative tasks
- Makes a positive contribution to team meetings, setting achievable actions points within achievable deadlines
- Identifies issues, risks and conflicts at an early stage; keeps team leader/supervisor well informed of work levels, completions, anticipated delays and seeking input and involvement as necessary
- Reviews and balances own and colleagues' workloads regularly; delegates and supervises very effectively and fairly, giving clear instructions and setting clear goals and timeframes.
- Gives regular feedback and conducts regular appraisals in a consistent, fair and motivating manner; provides feedback and support to team leader and peers
- Strongly supportive of all colleagues within team and around the firm, particularly those under pressure; generous with time and advice
- Willingly coaches and mentors juniors and seeks to develop coaching skills further
- Wide knowledge of the firm's services, markets and activities, extending into competitors' activity and extensive knowledge of clients' businesses
- Enthusiastic about realising the firms' strategic goals for new business and high levels of client and supervisory satisfaction
- Networks very well within the firm, contributing regularly to industry clients as firm clients and identifying wider business development opportunities accordingly
- Contributes to the commercial positioning of the firm and to the resolution of pricing/profitability issues; shares responsibility for meeting financial targets for the team and Group
- Well aware of and responsive to risk management issues (conflicts, client checks, money laundering, establishing terms and conditions)
- Responsive to the need to source expertise from around the firm to ensure best and most cost effective service to clients
- Habitually meets and often exceeds clients' expectations; an excellent listener who strives to understand the client's needs and to be flexible and responsive at all times
- Combines technical/legal advice with extensive commercial awareness and pragmatism ("thinks client")
- Maintains clear, regular and appropriate levels of communications with the client
- Seeks and monitors feedback and client satisfaction and relays promptly to the team; responds to client feedback promptly and corrects service issues swiftly and not defensively
- Sources expertise from around the firm to deliver excellent service
- Communicates clearly, concisely, accurately and persuasively; avoids unnecessary jargon and adopts client friendly language
- Presents a professional, unstuffy and friendly image; considerate, tactful and diplomatic at all times
- Expresses confidence in own judgement and is able to be assertive and robust as required
- Performs confidently before small and large audiences, delivering effective formal and informal presentations and being attuned to audience signals and responses
- Acts as an ambassador of the firm at all times
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications regardless of sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief or age.