Head of Third Party Business Continuity - Enterprise Resiliency Office
Who We Are
For over 235 years, Bank of New York Mellon (BNY Mellon) has been at the center of the global financial markets, providing the world's leading institutions the tools, capabilities, and services to be distinctive investors. BNY Mellon has approximately $16.5 billion in revenues and a 23% return on tangible common equity.
BNY Mellon is a leader in the world of investment services and investment management, and our businesses support the full range of stakeholders of the financial system including:
What We Do Enterprise Change Resiliency Office Overview (ECRO)
- Managing the custody of approximately $37 trillion financial assets of the world's leading institutional investors, hedge funds, sovereign wealth funds, and corporates
- Investing approximately $2 trillion as one of the largest global asset managers across a wide range of asset classes
- Providing collateral, liquidity, and funding for the world's largest banks through our markets franchise
- Serving family offices and high net worth individuals through our wealth management franchise
- Providing a full suite of solutions to advisors, broker-dealers, family offices, hedge and '40 Act fund managers, registered investment advisor firms and wealth managers
- Advising large global corporations on a range of trust and other solutions
- Providing integrated managed data services to asset managers
for BNY Mellon, a first-line enterprise-wide office, which leads the Firm's change management and resiliency functions. Enterprise Resiliency Office Overview (ERO)
BNY Mellon's ERO aligns, centralizes and integrates our resiliency disciplines and capabilities to deliver timely and effective incident identification, impact assessment, escalation, communication and resolution; provide clients with superior service; and deliver resilient, world-class products and services. We leverage best practices, lessons learned from our enterprise-wide operational activities and feedback from our partners to continuously improve our resiliency posture. Senior Principal, Business Continuity/Recovery Overview
The role will report to the Business Continuity Head to continue expanding the Third-Party Continuity framework in support for the development, implementation, and maturation of comprehensive Business Continuity Management ("BCM") program globally. This position is chartered to drive a program that enables BNY Mellon to operate with a confident state of confirmed recoverability and resilience. Role-Specific Responsibilities
General Job Responsibilities
- Investigate, identify and catalog 3rd Party recovery delivery capabilities.
- Institute and communicate Master Service Agreement contract language.
- Manage 3rd Party involvement in the Business Continuity Program including assessment, reviews of recovery capability, planning, testing, and associated resiliency delivery materials.
- Evaluate 3rd Party dependency requirements align with stated delivery commitments.
- Actively interact with Internal Audit, External Regulatory Examiners, and Industry peers.
- Partner with 3rd Party Governance, Legal, Sourcing, Technology and peer management organizations.
- Engagement with senior level operating and committee bodies to prompt and facilitate enterprise level decisions.
- Escalate and facilitate solutions in cases where 3rd Party recovery capabilities do not satisfy business dependency requirements.
- Execute all Business Continuity pillars with focus on Third Party perspective.
- Oversee that 3rd Party obligations are met in a disruption.
Qualifications Modified based upon local regulations/requirements.
- Responsible for the ongoing, independent oversight of highly complex business continuity compliance activities and recovery management governance for an assigned function and in preparation for potential crises and technology and information losses, among other risks.
- Advises and assists the assigned function with the assessment of and monitoring and reporting on key indicators of business continuity and recovery preparedness.
- Uses extensive industry experience to anticipate both standard and non-standard business continuity risks and appropriately lead the function's activities to address any control gaps.
- Leads and supports the business line managers via the cross-company Business Recovery Coordinator network to ensure the company is meeting both client and regulatory requirements related to Business Continuity. This includes providing training and awareness on required deliverables, tracking and monitoring for completion, conducting quality assurance reviews and reporting back to management, regulators and the Board of Directors, as required.
- Leads the assigned function's identification of risks to functional resilience and completion of test recoveries and relocations as required by all applicable regulators and legal entities. Advises the function on the completion of responsibilities in relation to required test recoveries and relocations and develops projects and programs to improve compliance. May complete similar tasks for vendor continuity.
- Evaluates and refreshes testing protocols each year in response to personnel changes, among others.
- Consistently leads cross-functional efforts to promote a strong Business Continuity & Recovery culture throughout the organization.
- Directly contributes to the drafting of the master resolution and recovery playbook for the organization, including documenting actions to be taken in the event of a crisis or bankruptcy.
- Maintains knowledge of industry best practices in order to anticipate critiques from regulators and recommends process and documentation changes.
- Meets with and presents to potential and existing clients on an ongoing basis. Uses longstanding, strong working relationships with existing clients to ensure the completion of business continuity compliance activities when clients are in the process of purchasing new services or conducting due diligence required by their vendors.
- Assigns compliance activities to more junior professionals. Escalates significant business continuity issues to the Business Continuity Executive Committee. Works through client contracts with legal representatives to make highly complex adjustments and/or work out whether client contract risks are tolerable for the organization.
- Responsible for managing the crisis management system, planning strategies for completing required documentation and ensuring more junior professionals are completing weekly refreshes of the automated calling system. No direct reports. provides guidance to more junior team members and assigns tasks.
- Contributes to the achievement of team objectives.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans. Our ambition is to build the best global team - one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve - and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums.
- Bachelor s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Twelve to fifteen (12-15) years of total work experience is preferred. Understanding/experience of resiliency program elements across Business Continuity, Disaster Recovery and Incident Management practices.
- Prior experience with writing/reviewing framework and compliance to resiliency program areas.
- Excellent analytical, planning and time management skills. Proactive and focused attitude with the ability to perform and succeed under pressure, consistently meeting deliverables.
- Proficiency in MS office products and general data management tools.
- Builds relationships and utilizes networks across levels and organizations to achieve results.
- Strong Project management skills and ability to multitask.
- Takes initiative, accept challenges, progress their business continuity competencies, business acumen, and establish/sustain internal/external networks and relationships in a complex organizational environment.
- Confident, self-starter with the ability to work with independently and within a team.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and attention to detail.