Full Stack Developer for Next Gen Portfolio Management Platform
Description About this role
Are you interested in building innovative technology that shapes the financial markets? Do you like working at the speed of a startup, and tackling some of the world's most interesting challenges? Do you want to work with, and learn from, hands-on leaders and experts in technology and finance? At BlackRock we are looking for Software Engineers who like to innovate and solve complex problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity and will embrace your unique skills, curiosity and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual. The Aladdin platform that we build is used by BlackRock investors and we also sell this to over 100 global financial clients. It is used to invest, protect and manage over $10 trillion (USD). We have an extraordinary responsibility to our clients all over the world, and a complete focus on high quality product development. Our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for education, buy a home and improve their financial well-being. With our focus on sustainability and ESG in the investment process, Aladdin is also increasingly used to help investors build climate-aware sustainable portfolios. Being a technologist at BlackRock means you get the best of both worlds: working for one of the most advanced financial companies and being part of a FinTech software development team who build great products using next generation technology and solutions.
- Passionate about technology with personal ownership for the work you do
- Curious and eager to learn new things, and willing to challenge the status quo
- Love working within a successful team, learning from and helping others
- Willing to embrace work outside of your comfort zone, and push boundaries
- Data and quality focused, with an eye for the details that make great solutions
- You sometimes make mistakes, but always learn from them
- Passionate about building high quality scalable software to meet the needs of tomorrow
- Delivering solutions for both BlackRock investment users and over 100 global financial firms
- Building a greenfield platform that will provide streamlined user workflows and scalable investment process automation
- Automating the investment process using Algorithms, Optimization, APIs, Microservices and distributed computing backed by an intuitive exception-based UX
- Building working, testable software every day, enabled by a scaled agile process and tools
- A team who loves to innovate and continuously deliver value to our users through technology
The position is in the Portfolio Management Engineering team in Aladdin. This team is building a greenfield project to transform a mature PM tool set into an integrated persona-based platform with streamlined user workflows and a high degree of automation at scale. This is enabled by investment algorithms, optimization, APIs microservices, distributed computing technology and an exception-based UX. The team works closely with BlackRock portfolio managers as well as helping deliver this to external clients. They also partner closely with world class Product Managers, UX designers, Quality Assurance Engineers and Client Support teams to deliver high quality, scalable and resilient PM capabilities within the Aladdin platform
The team is looking for an ambitious hands-on software developer to work on this exciting strategic product and upgrade the Aladdin Platform. As a key member of our engineering team, you will be encouraged and empowered to bring your ideas forward to help shape our technology, process and solutions. This will help you become a respected and successful player in our diverse team. This position will also give you opportunities to learn and master some of the best technologies such as Angular, Kafka, Ignite, APIs, gRPC, Protobufs, Spring, Azure DevOps, Node.JS, Cassandra and more. You will also learn about the financial industry and the exciting world of investing and portfolio management.
- Develop and maintain investment functionality used by portfolio managers
- Help design and build the next generation of the world's best investment platform
- Contribute to an agile development team working with designers, analysts, users and leads
- Apply quality software engineering practices through all phases of development
- Collaborate with team members in a multi-office, multi-country environment
- Ensure resilience and stability through quality code reviews, unit, regression and user acceptance testing, DevOps and level two production support
- Being a great teammate, helping and respecting others, continually improving our skills, product and agile process
- Partner with client support staff to help ensure our tools are reliable and easy to use
Skills and Experience:
- A proven foundation in core Java and related technologies, with OO skills and design patterns
- Track record building high quality software with design-focused and test-driven approaches
- Exposure to Front-end development exposure, ideally with Angular and TypeScript
- Exposure to high scale distributed technology like Kafka, Mongo, Ignite, Redis
- Exposure to building microservices and APIs ideally with REST, Kafka or gRPC
- Great analytical, problem-solving and communication skills
- Some experience or a real interest in finance, investment or portfolio management processes, and an ability to translate business problems into technical solutions
For VP candidates: experience leading dev teams, projects or being responsible for the design and technical quality of a significant application, system or component. Ability to form positive relationships with partnering teams, sponsors and user groups
Nice to have and opportunities to learn:
- Experience working in an agile development team or on open-source development projects
- Experience with optimization, algorithms or related quantitative processes
- Experience with relational databases, SQL and Cassandra
- Experience with Cloud platforms like Microsoft Azure, AWS, Google Cloud
- Experience with DevOps and tools like Azure DevOps
- A degree, certifications or opensource track record that shows you have a mastery of software engineering principles
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.