Front End Engineering Team Lead, Director - Aladdin Product Group
Description About this role What we do:
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of September 30, 2020, the firm managed approximately $7.8 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. What is the Aladdin Product Group?
At the heart of BlackRock, the largest investment management firm in the world, is the Aladdin Product Group. As engineers, we work with the industry's thought leaders to build forward-looking products that shape the financial markets. We build tools that manage trillion dollars in assets, support millions of financial instruments, and process financial transactions for thousands of users every day worldwide.
The core of our product success lies within Aladdin being an exceptional platform for our clients. To do so, our technology leaders develop outstanding software with empathy and purpose for our users. Since its inception, Aladdin has fueled the firm's commercial success. The question that we are asking ourselves today is: how do we continue to revolutionize Aladdin through to the next wave of innovation? Business Unit Overview:
Aladdin is the enterprise investment platform used by BlackRock and our clients to manage trillions of dollars in holdings across multifaceted asset classes at locations around the world. The Aladdin Studio team develops the data ecosystem, the compute platform and developer tooling to enable developers and Citizen Developers to build on top of Aladdin.
Aladdin has been on a decades long journey to put data at the heart of the investment process. The Aladdin Data Cloud, a component of Aladdin Studio, allows users to combine market and 3rd party data with their investment and proprietary data assets. Aladdin Studio will provide a world-class digital data marketplace to drive data discovery and deliver insight through a design forward and client-centric experience. Role Description:
We are looking for an experienced technical leader to lead a global and cross functional team in delivering data marketplace capabilities in the Aladdin Studio application. If you have experience building scalable, data oriented experiences using the latest web technologies then this could be the right next career move for you.
As an Engineering Team Lead ,
you will work closely with a team of elite developers within the Aladdin Studio and data teams. Every day you will utilize cutting-edge technologies to build the next generation of financial technology applications. Ideally, you will be someone who loves to operate at the intersection of technology and design; with demonstrable skill in partnering with product managers, designers, and other engineers to develop a suite of tools that our clients can use to both access and innovate with financial data from research through to production. With a growing demand to build out custom, bespoke workflows, the team's goal is to provide users with a seamless, tailored experience across a number of priority workflows; including (but not limited to) manipulating financial data for official reporting, developing models that will inform trading and investment decisions, and automating everyday financial and operational tasks. Key Responsibilities:
- Work alongside data producers, platform owners, product managers and data consumers to produce and execute a plan to deliver industry leading data discovery, management and usage capabilities
- Coordinate activities across multiple teams in the data platform and delivery space
- Work with a team of engineers to build out modern and elegant frontend tools, partnering with the UX and product teams to understand and influence the product roadmap
- Ensure code quality and interface reliability by adhering to internal standards and thoroughly testing applications.
- Find opportunities to improve the accessibility, performance, and stability of our interfaces.
- Mentor team members on forward-thinking approaches to front-end development, testing standards, and implementing a DevOps approach
- Deliver all software via Agile methodologies and take an active role in Scrum-based ceremonies.
- Collaborate with the data, compute, cloud, and API teams across the broader Aladdin Studio engineering community to optimize value and meet our timelines.
- 10+ years hands-on experience developing complex enterprise software systems.
- Understanding of financial and timeseries data.
- 5+ years of experience building user interface components using a modern web stack (e.g., React, Angular, Vue, etc.), preferably using TypeScript.
- Strong Object-Oriented Programming skills and experience (e.g., Golang, Python, Java, etc.) .
- Experience working with varied data platforms including relational, key-value and index-based tools
- Passion for driving continuous refinement in architecture, testing, and version control.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Experience with containers, Kubernetes, and scale data tools (esp. Snowflake) is a plus
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.