APG invests € 487 billion (February 2019) for pension funds with the greatest possible care. It is all about the balance between risk and return and a stable policy based on a long-term perspective. The result: an average return of approximately 7 percent for the past 20 years. APG works for over 21,000 Dutch employers and provides retirement income for one in five families (over 4.5 million participants) in the Netherlands.
APG Asset Management is a Dutch pension capital investor. Our asset management aims at realizing a good and affordable pension for both current and future generations. Worldwide, we are one of the largest pension fiduciary asset managers. Our clients benefit from economies of scale. It gives them access to investment options and external mandates (for example private equity and infrastructure) that would otherwise not be an option, or at least not at the same favorable conditions. With about 700 highly qualified employees working from the Netherlands, the USA and Asia, we have in-house expertise ensuring stable long-term returns.
The Risk Management Department (CFRO/RM) of APG US conducts second line risk management for all the activities conducted by the organization, and works closely with Investment Risk Management (IRM) counterparts in the Netherlands and Hong Kong. The department’s responsibilities span over both the Investment and the Enterprise Risk Management activities of APG US. While positioned as one department APG US distinguishes between two sub-disciplines within Risk Management: Financial Risk Management (FRM) and Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) & Operational Due Diligence (ODD). The FRM discipline focuses on the management and evaluation of the risks embedded in the asset characteristics of APG’s investments. The ERM & ODD discipline evaluates the risks embedded in the company’s operations and those of the entities APG US invests in through external mandates and relationships. The Risk Management Department of APG US is overseen by the CFRO US who is supported by two Team Leads for the day-to-day management and coordination of activities among the individual team members and the internal and external stakeholders of APG’s Global IRM group. The Global IRM team consists of approximately 30 professionals in three office locations, including the US team of 11 professionals.
- Carry out investment risk management for APG’s alternative asset classes analyzing financial risks for new and existing strategies and create new data management practices and procedures
- Study data sources of data required to create alternative asset-class risk dashboards, manage the project and meet company milestones
- Evaluate new investment proposals for alternative asset classes such as Private Equity, Hedge Funds, Infrastructure and Real Estate and related coinvestments:
- Conduct financial analysis that can serve as inputs for the Investment Risk Management opinions for the evaluation of PE investment proposals at APG’s Investment Committee meetings
- Discuss risk evaluations with the PE portfolio managers, formulate risk advice to PE portfolio managers and APG’s Investment Committees
- Carry out comprehensive risk reporting on APG’s Private Equity product offering and initiate the required system analysis, design and implementation
- Contribute to the development & maintenance of quantitative analytics to support the Global Risk Monitoring Framework for existing investments for the Alternative Investment strategies managed by APG Investments US (Hedge Funds, Infrastructure, Private Equity and Real Estate)
- Participate as the representative of the Risk & Performance Management team in pipeline and review meetings with the investment teams
- Coordinate with other CFRO units (External Reporting, Operational Risk Management, Business Control) as well as with Front and Back office teams both in the US and in the Netherlands
- Support the team’s compliance monitoring process to ensure that funds operate according to approved Fund Characteristics and other risk guidelines on an ongoing basis
- Run and participate in projects to achieve company milestones set by the management.
- Analyze and interpret information and provide advice to management as requested
- Assist in the implementation and maintenance of risk and performance measurement and attribution methodologies in consultation with other CFRO team members
- BA/BS in financial/quantitative field required
- Experience: 0-5 years. Some experience in a related capacity or a background in Asset Management or company credit analysis is favorable
- Exceptional analytical skills with a strong understanding of risk management practices (qualitative and quantitative) and a focus on alternative investment strategies
- Experience in data analysis, knowledge of statistical tools, hypothesis testing and model building
- Significant data integration training including processing, merging and quality control of data from multiple sources preferred
- Information Technology skills such as database management using SQL, machine learning techniques and data analysis using R, STATA, MATLAB and proficiency in Excel with VBA codes
- Familiar with using industry data-sources such as Factset, Bloomberg, and Thomson Reuters
- Strong financial analysis background and skillset required
- Experience in analyzing Private Equity or Hedge Fund investments is favorable
- Team player who is a self-starter, pro-active and motivated to create positive change
- Strong communication and superior problem solving skills
APG Asset Management US Inc. (APG) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Please send resumes to Justine.Gillis@apg-am.com