Equity Research Analyst (Biotechnology)
Berenberg Capital Markets LLC (BCM) is looking to add a Biotechnology Analyst to its Equity Research Department. This is an exciting time to join the firm as not only the healthcare team, but the entire research department are in growth mode. The unique nature of our company allows for more senior responsibility as well as accelerated coverage of stocks for this role, working directly with both other healthcare associates and other senior analysts. This position is located in the firm’s New York City office.
The Healthcare team is a growth priority at BCM. Currently the team covers Biotechnology, Specialty Pharmaceuticals, Medical Technology and Healthcare IT subsectors. We also work collaboratively with the Global Pharma and Medical Technology teams in London. For Biotechnology, we pride ourselves in our scientific expertise; we conduct deep analysis on scientific and clinical data, provide forward-looking insights in the broad biotech space, and communicate timely investment recommendations to investors. Depending on candidate’s experience, this hire can be an Associate initially supporting coverage, or a Senior Analyst immediately taking on coverage responsibilities.
• Conducting research on a range of companies within the healthcare sector (specifically Biotech), being the main point of contact for all Biotech related inquiries from internal and external sources
• Updating all reports on a daily basis: watching the news for any and all updates, creating and writing flash notes
• Liaising with all internal teams to present and explain new and existing research, ex: sales, ECM, trading
• attendance at company presentations, attendance of meetings with company management, researching company accounts/reports and other sources and drafting research notes
• Financial modeling and valuation
• Undertaking various support tasks associated with the research function, updating databases, reviewing and archiving research material
• Analyzing numerous data sources to produce recommendations
• 1-2 years previous experience or background in a life science related field
• An advanced degree (M.D. or Ph.D.) in the life sciences, or a specialized background in a life science-related field (biology/biostatistics, etc.) required
• Demonstrated interest in Equity Research, through internships, coursework, and/or ad-hoc projects
• Interest in the healthcare sector
• Able to work in a systematic and methodical way
• Evidence of clear analytical thinking; Strong attention to detail
• Works productively in a fast-paced environment
• Passion for Equities (particularly Small-Mid Cap), following the stock market and deep-dive research
• Advanced IT skills, particularly in MS Excel
• Strong knowledge of company valuations and financial modelling
• Have all required FINRA licenses or can obtain those within 6 months of hire date
Berenberg Capital Markets LLC (BCM) is a FINRA-registered US-based broker-dealer; its headquarters
are located in New York, with branches in Boston and San Francisco. BCM is a wholly owned,
independent subsidiary of Joh. Berenberg, Gossler & Co. KG (Berenberg), one of Europe’s leading
privately-owned banks, established in 1590. Together BCM and Berenberg cover approximately 800
European and US equities, with a 120+ person research department based out of London and NYC.
Building on its strength and expertise across multiple industries, BCM continues to rapidly expand the
breadth of research, sales, trading and capital markets services it offers, in order to assist its institutional
and corporate clients’ access to the global equity markets. BCM adopts the same principles as its parent
company and is committed to building long-term relationships with its clients based on high levels of
accountability, responsibility, insight, vision and expertise.