Equity Derivatives Product Controller
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley USA
- 17 Oct 18
Equity Derivatives Product Controller
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm's books and records, and by contributing to firm-wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
The Financial Control Group (FCG) is responsible for overseeing the accounting and financial and regulatory reporting for the Firm. FCG prepares external financial reports for public filings and regulators. For internal reporting FCG, along with Financial Planning and Analysis (FPA), summarizes, plans and forecasts the organization's financial position, including income statements, balance sheets, and analyses of future revenues, expenses and earnings. FCG is comprised of Business Unit Controllers, Infrastructure Controllers, Accounting, Regulatory and Reporting groups, and Valuation Review.
The Equity Derivatives business at Morgan Stanley is part of Institutional Equity Division, which is a leader in the origination, distribution and trading of equity, equity-linked and equity-derivative securities. The depth and breadth of the Firm's equity sales and trading ensure liquidity and provide sophisticated analytics for companies and investors throughout the world.
The Equity Derivatives Product Control team sits within the ISG Finance organization, and provides coverage and support to the the Equity Derivatives businesses, acting as guardians of the books & records, ensuring the reported financials and disclosures are accurate w. regards to classifications, value and booking of transactions; the team is also involved in analysis & due diligence, profitability/performance metrics, and maximizing efficiency of capital and financial resources.
The team's functions include:
- Validation, review, and analysis of daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly financial data for the Equity Derivatives trading desks, including point-of-time and historical trending of Revenues, Balance Sheet, Capital, and Funding
- Ensuring accuracy of the books & records via the monthly close process, and providing assistance with quarterly financial statement preparation
- Identification of key risks and inefficiencies, and continuous work towards mitigating those by introducing improvements in the control environment, as well as proposing process or technological enhancements
- Partnership with the businesses in an advisory capacity to help drive results and improve the bottom line
This role is in a fast paced, team-oriented environment, working with highly complex derivative strategies. The role will require effective communication, negotiation and influencing skills, effective time management, process and project management, and solid understanding of finance and accounting concepts. The role will require frequent interaction with the business unit, operations, and other areas of finance. Knowledge of derivative products and strategies is highly desired.
- Focus on supporting the ongoing growth and expansion of the Equity Derivatives business
- Review, validation, analysis and commentary of Revenue, Balance Sheet, and Capital
- Production and review of a number of metrics and financial data packs
- Focus on risk mitigation and drive forward the team's control agenda by reviewing existing processes and enforcing change toward efficiency and best practices
- Ongoing partnership with the business units, Technology, Operations, and other areas of finance
- Active engagement in remediation efforts involving Technology and Strats (e.g. Dynamic Index PnL Attribution, Structured Notes Scalability) including communication w. stakeholders, documentation, and coordination of testing
- Serve as a liaison w. various groups, representing the team in discussions of relevant accounting and financial information used for disclosures or other purposes
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance, Math or related discipline
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills
- CPA or MBA helpful but not required
- Strong Excel skills
- 5-10 years accounting or financial service experience
- Exposure to financial instruments, equity and derivatives highly desired
- Strong communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Self-motivated, strong team player, multi-tasking, proactive, able to work independently