- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- New York Life Insurance Company
- 19 Nov 17 2017-11-19
New York Life's 170+ year bedrock is to provide financial security and peace of mind through humility, integrity, and stewardship for our policy holders. We do not serve shareholders, we serve and are owned by our members - ensuring the quintessential alignment of interests between company and customer.
New York Life has embarked on a transformation journey to build on the power of digital tools, data sciences, and consumer centrism to further our mission for our customers.
New York Life's Marketing group is on the forefront of this journey - leading the research, insights, digital innovation, and analytics necessary to creating connected, meaningful experiences for our customers.
The Strategy and Marketing Operations team is looking for top talent who are passionate about fueling connections to the customer, driving the research and design to achieve our transformation, and game to be shaping clarity and delivery of new capabilities in an evolving company.
Responsibilities for the Editorial Assistant position on this team include:
- Support the department's Creative Director in the writing, editing and publishing of consumer-focused marketing and sales content being developed within the Creative Solutions team across multiple channels including print, digital and social platforms.
- Act as second in command for general oversight of departmental creative work. The ideal candidate is comfortable taking and giving direction, has strong experience managing projects in a fast-moving environment with little to no oversight, can shift focus quickly while still managing multiple priorities, and enjoys writing and editing in all forms from punchy headlines to technical long copy.
- Conduct editorial reviews and provide sign-off/edits on specific suites of material and content created by marketing teams across the company.
- Serve as primary writer and editorial manager for the company's social medial channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram). This includes sourcing content that appeals to our followers, writing posts, getting posts approved by internal teams including legal review, developing and maintaining editorial calendars, and collaborating with other social media partners from across the company.
- Create, edit and proofread content for the company's websites, consumer marketing campaigns, and for entire suites of marketing collateral, product lines and other high-profile, external-facing, communications programs.
- Work closely with senior leadership to craft appropriate messages that promote the company's products and services with the goal of helping to increase sales and brand awareness.
- Manage external vendors for sourcing content and for hiring freelance writing and proofreading talent as needed.
- Ensure that all content created adheres to the company's brand voice and regulatory requirements, follows correct grammar rules, and receives the necessary legal and compliance reviews to protect the company's professional image in the marketplace.
- Identify potential problems and proactively generate and execute on ideas for acceptable solutions, with goal of always finding a middle ground that accomplishes marketing leadership's goals while still adhering to SMRU/OGC requirements.
- Regularly review competitors' materials and industry publications to ensure that the company is keeping up to date with industry trends in content types and language.
- Manage administrative tasks including scheduling meetings, using project management software and other tools to review and respond to incoming jobs, distributing information, and other administrative duties as needed.
Requirements & Skills
- 5 to 7 years of experience.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in English, Marketing, Journalism, New Media or a related field.
- Strong experience with Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign and Acrobat Pro.
- Experience working with project management/workflow software such as Aprimo.
- Knowledge of the Chicago Manual Style.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Project, Word, and Excel.
- Basic understanding of SEO and html.
- Comfortable with complicated technical and regulatory language.
- Adept at storytelling, content creation and managing multiple and evolving projects with tight and often competing deadlines.
- Proven success creating and editing content across multiple channels and media types including print, web, digital, social media, video, radio, motion graphics, email and direct mail.
- Strong ability to multi-task and manage multiple and competing projects with specific deadlines. Must be able to manage projects throughout the project lifecycle including: heading kick-off meetings with internal clients, creating drafts, managing edits from clients/legal, and working with designers.
- Understands the relationship between copy and design. Can concept graphic ideas in support of social media copy as well as think strategically about the business.
- Strong critical thinking skills: utilizing creative problem-solving skills, sound judgment and strong attention to details.
- Expert in the English language with ability to distill complex financial and insurance products into easy-to-understand messages for various internal and external audiences.
- Understands current trends in digital communication.
- Experience working within a matrix organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact professionally and diplomatically with all levels of the company, including senior management.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.