About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
Shaping country behaviors and culture through protecting the Bank against employee-related risk by:
- Ensuring that the relationship between the Bank and its employees is managed appropriately within the Group ER and Conduct framework underpinned by clear standards and ultimately by relevant employment law.
- Effectively managing key external stakeholder relationships with employee representative bodies, legal firms and local labor ministries (where relevant locally).
- Champion ER's purpose and vision - be a brand ambassador for ER and the ER agenda.
Manage ER Products and Processes Americas and support Americas HR Business Partners : Terminations and exits, Performance Improvement Planning, Redundancy, Disciplinary Management, Close Personal Relationships and Close Financial Relationships, Grievance Management and others
- Redundancy: Support HRBPs and People Leaders with large scale restructuring and redundancy projects and provide advice on complex / high risk redundancy situations as well as ad hoc redundancy or restructuring proposals.
- Disciplinary and Grievance Management:
End to end case management of grievance cases
- Work with the HRBP, business and Regional EA ER Head to outline approach in line with country process (e.g. agree the Grievance representative/s to investigate and hear the Grievance and make arrangements for Grievance Hearing including issuing hearing invite/statement of complaint).
- Conduct the Grievance process or provide support to conduct the grievance.
- Complete analysis of data/facts and provide support to the decision maker of the Grievance to help them reach a fair and consistent resolution/conclusion which minimises the risk to the Bank, effective communication of outcome to employee and create written outcome.
- Update ERCMS at the initiation and conclusion of Grievance.
- Update relevant stakeholders with key findings including any disciplinary actions recommended.
End to end case management of disciplinary cases (including complex cases)
- Level of investigations involvement and support to be agreed with regional Head EA ER and based on case nature and complexity.
- Conduct fact finding and investigatory interviews including as appropriate preparation of witness statements and investigation report.
- Manage case in line with appropriate Policy/Procedures, providing appropriate support to management.
- Complete analysis of data/facts and provide support to the decision maker(s) of the Disciplinary Grievance to help them reach a fair and consistent conclusion which minimises the risk to the Bank.
- Update relevant stakeholders with key findings and any relevant information, including any recommendations.
- Regularly update ERCMS including upon conclusion of disciplinary and/or appeal (where appropriate).
- Update HRBP and/or PRB (Reward) team in case of a disciplinary action so that it could be highlighted for any potential P3 impact.
- Provide insight and guidance to improve the effectiveness of individual performance including Performance Improvement Plans.
- Work with ER operations to provide data insights into the number of disciplinary and grievance cases/identify trends.
- Support management of the Bank's relationships with employee representative bodies (where applicable).
- Support the country's Management team to manage collective disputes and diffuse business disruptions.
- Support the execution of country and regional Conduct agenda.
- Support the regulatory references process. Review and where required, sign off ER related documentation produced by ER Operations, such as regulatory references to ensure accuracy.
- Play relevant support and advisory role in relation to Close Personal Relationships and Close Financial Relationships.
People and Talent
Education and Training of HR and People Leaders
- Support People Leaders with Employee Relations products and services including but not limited to change Management initiatives and restructuring
- Liaise closely with employment legal and proactively update HRBPs and People Leaders on recent employment law legislative changes and developments or new internal standards or approaches.
- Support development of products, policies and processes to up-skill People Leaders in effectively dealing with ER matters.
Defining and managing employee-related risk across the country
- Identify, assess, and monitor country ER process risks in line with overall operational risk management framework. Support and maintain ER Risk and Control processes.
- Create and implement suitable actions to mitigate identified risks.
- Understand current local employment and discrimination law in local and international jurisdictions, together with employee trends to anticipate and minimize employee related risks.
- Support management of any relevant country Standards and process dispensations as may be required.
- Proactive analysis and guidance on ER trends.
Translation of country legislation and regulation into pragmatic actions for country teams
- Build internal and external networks and remain up to date with legislative change and developments and be viewed both internally and externally as an expert in the ER field.
- Collaborate with HR Legal and Compliance and/or external legal counsel for advice and decision on interpretation of local laws and regulations and ER policies, procedures, cases in-country.
- Primary accountability (where relevant) for communicating with local labor ministries on Employee Relations matters, and HR related policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of ER to support Americas markets (US, Colombia, Argentina, Brazil)
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Country/Business Management Groups ; People Leaders
- Regional & Global ER colleagues
- ER Operations
- Country Head of HR/Country HRBPs
- HR Legal
- HR mobility
- Performance Reward and Benefits
- Compliance and Shared Investigation Services
- Country Financial Crime Compliance
- Country Performance Reward & Benefits
- HR Risk
Our Ideal Candidate
- Employee Representative Bodies
- Legal firms
- Labour Departments
- Employer Associations
- Industry peers
- Outplacement company
- Employment law qualification advantageous but not essential
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages . We welcome conversations on flexible working.