Director of Software Engineering
JobDescription : The Role:
Director of Software Engineering Grade
( relevant for internal applicants only ): 13 The Location:
New York The Impact:
The Director of Software Engineering will play a pivotal role in our strategic transformation from an application to platform-centric software and data engineering practices and lead the development of our API platform (machine-to-machine communications). These efforts are occurring within the broader context of major strategic initiatives to extend our market leadership and build next-generation software platforms that are powered by our World Class datasets as we pivot to a platform company. In short, the Director of Software Engineering will lead fundamental organizational and operational changes of software engineering while building an API platform with modern cloud based technology. What We're Looking For:
The ideal candidate must be technical enough to be hands on, speak to the technical architecture and has the managerial expertise to direct multiple engineering teams as they architect and build the next generation API platform. Must have the ability to function as software architect, agile coach, development manager and have an excellent customer focused attitude to lead our development teams. As Director of Software Engineering you will be responsible for the development and maintenance of the following:
- API Platform Architecture: Architect and manage the development of the next generation API platform leveraging AWS cloud-based technology.
- Federated APIs: Architect and build federated API capabilities into the platform that intelligently links all of Platts dataset internally and with the broader S&P Global via an API ontology strategy.
- Machine Learning: Partner with Kensho to open up access to our data via APIs to leverage real-time ML tools and offer new products and services to our customers.
- API Developer Site: Architect and manage the development of the next generation API Developer Site to enable developers to self-provision, onboard and use Platts APIs.
You will be responsible for the SDLC, technical design, development, QA, build systems, software deployment and AWS operations. This position will require leading an agile transformation while maintaining the daily operations as the organization is transformed into a platform company. Requires expert insight into the technical complexity of key components and must provide technical guidance to software engineering managers, architects, programmers, infrastructure, product management and other non-technical team members.
Partner, collaborating and aligning with Product Management and customer-facing peers will be a key in identifying what needs to develop so we are always delivering value to our customers. As a strategic partner with the business and CTO this position will lead the creation of a roadmap of how technology enables the business and drives revenue growth at the same time.
In addition to software engineering, agile transformation and alignment with the business this position will require managing and building off-shore teams. Responsibilities: Development Management
- Partner with product management and co-lead an agile transformation while transitioning from consultants to FTEs
- Partner with customer-facing peers to create and deliver on roadmaps
- Manage and build teams on-shore and off-shore
- Lead the transformation from multiple applications/tools into a few platforms
- Set & vet the architecture direction of our platforms
- Migration legacy applications onto the platform
- Identify and consolidate duplicate product functionality, infrastructure environments and teams
- Automate manual tasked via robotics
- Provide constant coaching to the agile teams in the program
- Provide mentoring and guidance to team members
- Have effective 1:1's with your direct reports
- Ensure managers and their team members work at capacity to ensure deadline are meet
- Ensure agile teams estimate development effort by breaking down components into work items
- Occasionally get into the user stories and code to validate engineering direction and design
- Review their team's Scrum and ScrumBan boards weekly and ensure the teams operate efficiently and meet sprint goals
- Attend your team's Sprint Reviews
- Resource your projects and if needed create new teams. The PMO helps facilitate but the accountability for project resourcing is with the Heads of Engineering
- Accountable to 20% BAU limit and creating strategies to reduce anything above it.
- Continually work on process improvement
- Provide software development progress reports to executive management
- Work closely with application support to ensure escalated items are addressed accordingly
- Ensure production operations of 99.99% uptime
- Partner with infrastructure to efficiently manage the AWS environments. Implement elastic infrastructure to control costs.
- Lead technology audit compliance based on regulators and SOC2
- Stay current with modern software development technology
- Experience partnering with Product Management in an agile SDLC
- Prior experience building API platforms. Experience with traffic management, routing and security
- Prior development and management of cloud base software is a must
- Must come from a software development background. Prior experience as a software engineer.
- Experience in a regulated industry or SSAE16/SOC2/ISO experience
- Experience with SQL and No SQL big data technology
- Management of high-performance agile teams
- Management of on-shore and off-shore teams
- Management of a development team of 20+ FTEs (Dev, QA, BA, System Engineers)
- Previous architecture experience with large scale cloud based software
- Prior experience developing APIs that integrate multiple datasets
- API platforms like Apigee or AWS API Gateway
- Extensive SQL and No SQL big data technologies
- AWS serverless development
- Memory caching
- Java or .NET web application development
- JSON, XML, XSL, XPATH
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Computer Sciences
- Preferably at least 8+ years of software development experience
- Experience managing application integration projects
- Experience managing an agile SDLC, preferable SCRUM
- Advanced knowledge of object-oriented programming concepts and relational data modeling
- Strong Object Oriented Design, Relational Database Design, and XML Design
- Ability to collaborate and brainstorm in a team environment
- Technical certification is a plus
At S&P Global Platts, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with confidence. We're the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Platts coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
S&P Global Platts is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.platts.com.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com
and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.