Director and Managing Counsel, Regulation, Supervision and Corporate Affairs
Director and Managing Counsel, Regulation, Supervision and Corporate Affairs This attorney will be a key component of the Legal Department's Regulation, Supervision and Corporate Affairs division, focusing on advising the firm's global finance and risk functions. Responsibilities will include capital, liquidity, and funding issues, capital planning, stress-testing, external disclosure, and liquidity risk management. Other responsibilities will include assisting in the development of new products and services, Dodd-Frank compliance, advising the firm's securities investment portfolio, as well as regulatory and supervisory advocacy efforts. This attorney will work closely with BNY Mellon's Corporate Treasury division, Portfolio Management Group, Controllers group, Regulatory Reporting, Capital Adequacy & Stress-Testing, Government Affairs, Risk and Compliance, and other control functions, as well as the in-house legal team to identify and manage key regulatory issues related to the conduct of BNY Mellon businesses affecting the firm's finance and risk units and to develop strategies to implement changes as required by regulatory developments. This position will report to the Senior Managing Counsel & Director in the Legal Department's New York, New York office responsible for enterprise-wide finance and risk functions. Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Qualifications - External Advanced Legal Degree or local country equivalent degree usually required. Progression to this level usually requires licensure/certification by the local country or jurisdiction. In some jurisdictions, may not require licensure or certification for placement in the role; in others, licensure/certification is required. 5-8 years minimum of total work experience as a qualified attorney is preferred. Prior corporate legal experience within the financial services industry or experience in assigned practice area (e.g., securities, employment, etc.) with an outside law firm is preferred. BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans. Our ambition is to build the best global team - one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve - and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums.
- Serve as a legal advisor to Corporate Treasury's business units, including the corporate investments portfolio, asset-liability management, internal business combination transactions, capital actions, and corporate funding.
- Advise business units and centralized control functions in responding to regulatory and supervisory examinations, and in shaping the firm's supervisory relationships.
- Work with BNY Mellon's Exchange Act disclosure legal team in formulating quarterly regulatory affairs disclosure across the firm, as well as capital- and liquidity-specific disclosures.
- Helping the organization's Compliance team, Corporate Treasury function, and various business units comply with the Volcker Rule.
- Advising the company on strategic advocacy and implementation regarding the Dodd Frank Act Enhanced Prudential Standards
- Participate in firm-wide and business centered stress-testing initiatives, including yearly CCAR preparation and submission and DFAST stress-testing exercises.
- "Connecting the dots" to identify emerging supervisory trends and ensuring that these are considered in broader advocacy efforts.
- Managing and leading company responses to supervisory and enforcement actions and advising on remedial action plans.