Director Marketing Analytics
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- New York Life Insurance Company
- 20 Jan 18 2018-01-20
Director Marketing Analytics
Director Marketing Analytics
New York Life, the largest writer of retail life insurance in the U.S. and a top player in annuities, long-term care and mutual funds, is seeking a Marketing Analytics Director in its Center for Data Science and Analytics.
The company has over 150 years of history and while usable data does not quite go back this far, we have a wealth of internal information on consumers, policies and their performance, as well as applicants, prospects and our 12,000 agents. We also have a multitude of external data from a great variety of sources. New York Life is likely the most data-rich company in the life insurance industry. Analytical challenges range from mortality risk (with a number of both medical and non-medical components) to agent recruiting decisions, consumer analytics (segmentation, response, conversion, retention, up-sell), fraud detection, advertising allocation and digital advertising optimization.
The Center for Data Science and Analytics is the innovative corporate Analytics group within New York Life. We are a rapidly growing entrepreneurial department which aims to design, create and offer innovative data-driven solutions for many parts of the enterprise. We are aided by New York Life's existing business with a large market share in individual life insurance. We have the freedom to explore external data sources and new statistical techniques, and are excited about delivering a whole new generation of Analytical solutions.
In fact, we are building one of the first multivariate model-based continuous risk differentiations in the industry. We are also working on models for differentiated advertising allocation by geography, channel and segment. Geographic analytics on agents and customers, application fraud detection, agent success prediction and client prospecting analytics (off-line and on-line) are other exciting examples of enormous incremental value from analytics. Our products will be implemented into real-time core business processes and decisions that drive the company (e.g. underwriting, pricing, agent recruiting, prospecting, advertising allocation, new product development).
We work with data ranging from demographics, credit and geo data to detailed medical data (medical test results, diagnosis, prescriptions) and social media information. We have a modern computing environment with a solid suite of data science/modeling tools and packages, and a large (but manageable) group of well-trained professionals at various levels to support you. Life insurance is on the verge of huge change. This is a chance to be part of, actually to drive, the transformation of an industry. Is this not why we became data scientists?
You will apply your highly developed technical predictive analytics skills to work on all aspects of life insurance marketing and advertising analytics, ranging from response models, lapse, cross-sale, CLV to market mix problems for brand advertising spend allocation, big data and DMP-based digital marketing and various other challenges.
You will apply your leadership experience, high energy level and business sense to supervise staff, ingest and wrangle data, manage analytics projects, propose analytics strategy, create related business cases, drive several large initiatives, build and implement solutions at scale and give presentations as a subject matter expert.
- Independently leads data analysis and modeling projects from project/sample design, business review meetings with internal and external clients deriving requirements/deliverables, reception and processing of data, performing analyses and modeling to final reports/presentations, communication of results and implementation support.
- Leads the group responsible for marketing and advertising analytics solutions, including exploration/consolidation of a variety of internal and external data.
- Utilizes advanced statistical techniques to create high-performing predictive models and creative analyses to address business objectives and client needs.
- Proactively and effectively communicates in various verbal and written formats with internal stakeholders on product design, data specification, model implementations, with partners on collaboration ideas and specifics, with clients and account teams on project/test results, opportunities, questions. Resolves problems and removes obstacles to timely and high-quality project completion.
- Manages staff including goal setting, performance evaluation, effective resource allocation and career/skill development, hiring and training.
- Actively contributes to analytics strategy by contributing ideas, preparing presentation material for internal stakeholders, and product design/business case materials for NYL leadership.
- Follows industry trends in insurance and related data/analytics processes and businesses. Functions as the analytics expert in meetings with other internal areas and external vendors. Contributes ideas and actively participates in proof of concept tests of new processes and technologies.
- Assures compliance with regulatory and privacy requirements during design and implementation of modeling and analysis projects.
- Travels to events and vendor meetings as needed (
- Graduate-level degree with concentration in a quantitative discipline such as statistics, computer science, mathematics, economics, or operations research.
- 6+ years of experience with consumer marketing including direct marketing as well as advertising allocation. Experience with an agent/advisor based distribution is a plus.
- 6+ years of experience with statistical modeling using large and complex datasets.
- 3+ years of direct people management experience. Proven ability to effectively manage own and associates' time while multitasking between multiple, time-sensitive projects and competing priorities in a dynamic business environment while maintaining strong, productive relationships with internal stakeholders and external partners. Ability to provide technical guidance to direct reports.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, listening and teamwork skills, and effective presentation skills. This is absolutely essential since you will have a lot of exposure to different internal groups (data, IT, actuarial, medical, underwriting, Legal, Agency, government relations, etc.) as well as third-party data partners.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic and analytical leadership. Executive presence on high-level meetings. Credible functional expertise in predictive analytics.
- Expertise in statistical modeling techniques such as linear regression, logistic regression, survival analysis, GLM, GBM, cluster analysis, principal components, feature creation, and validation.
- Strong expertise in regularization techniques (Ridge, Lasso, elastic nets), variable selection techniques, feature creation (transformation, binning, high level categorical reduction, etc.) and validation (hold-outs, CV, bootstrap).
- Substantial programming experience with several of the following: SAS (STAT, macros, EM), R, H2O, Python, SPARK, SQL, other Hadoop. Exposure to GitHub.
- Experience with data visualization (e.g. R Shiny, Spotfire, Tableau)
- Proficiency in creating effective and visually appealing PowerPoint presentations.
Location: Manhattan (midtown, walking distance from Penn Station and Grand Central). Relocation assistance is available for remote applicants but work from other locations is not possible long term.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
* Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
** Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.