Director, Head of Applied Machine Learning for Portfolio Research
Description About this role
The Director, Head of Applied Machine Learning for Portfolio Research will own the development of next generation machine learning models with a focus on liquidity, pricing, and trading analytics. The models we build leverage a wealth of data, innovative data science, and cutting-edge technology. We work closely with our clients to ensure we understand the business practicalities of traders, portfolio and risk managers alike and can add value to their processes.
We use a range of technologies, tools, and platforms (Python, Scala, Spark/Hadoop, Azure) and provide a stable, scalable platform with appropriate standards and procedures. This platform supports the diverse nature and demands of a wide range of investment teams and clients. About the Financial Modeling Group (FMG)
FMG is responsible for the research and development of quantitative financial models and tools across many different areas - single-security pricing, prepayment models, risk, return attribution, liquidity, optimization and portfolio construction, scenario analysis and simulations, etc. - across all asset classes. The group also owns the technology platform that delivers those models to our internal partners and external clients, and their integration with Aladdin. Within FMG our team focusses on liquidity and trading analytics. Key Responsibilities
- Model Development: Innovator in the development of analytical approaches including predictive modeling, forecasting, clustering. Able to apply a range of statistical and machine learning approaches; knowledge of scripting and analysis languages such as Python, R and SQL and experience and comfort level in data analytics at every level of the stack.
- Technical Expertise: Track record in utilizing big data technology and designing related architecture to analyze, visualize, process and extract information from terabyte size data sets. Will provide recommendations on the adoption of cutting-edge technology capabilities available in various public cloud infrastructures.
- Innovator: Leader in the application of machine learning techniques to provide intra-day reporting on cost of position or portfolio liquidation, time to liquidation, redemption estimation, and investor behavior modeling.
- Financial Markets Expertise: Leading voice. Engages with the sales team in client visits and meetings. Provides financial market recommendations on macro-economics and multi-asset investing. Publishes applied scientific research and regularly presents at leading industry conferences.
- Portfolio Construction and Risk Expertise: Works directly with portfolio managers to provide portfolio construction and risk recommendations through the application of machine learning models.
- Talent Development: Develop and retain a robust team, offering ongoing feedback and overall career mentorship. Build the right talent balance by assessing skill sets and by providing ongoing mentoring to the team.
- FMG & BlackRock Engagement: Demonstrated ability to lead cross functional project partnering with engineering, operations, and compliance. Ability to direct major cross-functional initiatives with effective prioritization and influence.
- 10+ years of experience in model development, ideally with extensive expertise in the application of machine learning techniques to optimize model development
- Domain expertise in financial markets, macro-economics and multi-asset investing
- Previous experience or knowledge in market liquidity
- Strong background in Mathematics: statistics, probability, linear algebra is a big plus
- Ability to work in an entrepreneurial, fast paced, and collaborative environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to deliver presentations and communicate up and down the organization
- Strong interpersonal, problem-solving and planning skills
- Strong technical abilities with an ability to get in the weeds where necessary
- Desire and ability to develop talent
- BA/BS degree in a quantitative field (Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Finance or similar area). An advanced degree is a plus
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.