Director, Financial Markets Advisory- Liquidity, Large/Mid Cap Banks
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- 20 May 19
Financial Markets Advisory team. The candidate will be responsible for the successful execution and delivery of assignments across a range of complexity with a focus on Large-Cap Banks in the treasury, liquidity and balance sheet management space.
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of December 31, 2018, the firm managed approximately $5.98 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
Introduction to BlackRock’s Financial Markets Advisory (FMA):
FMA was established in 2008 to address the unique challenges that arose globally as a consequence of the financial crisis. The FMA group provides consulting services to financial institutions, regulators, and government entities on highly critical and often most complex financial issues. The broad set of capabilities within our Advisory team seeks to combine asset and liability expertise and capital markets knowledge with practical, results-oriented consulting and advisory skills. The group typically works with senior management at top financial institutions, official institutions and market intermediaries and utilities around the globe, with a focus on their balance sheet and capital markets exposures, as well as a wide range of other strategic, regulatory and operational challenges.
Since its founding, FMA has completed numerous assignments for over 250 unique clients in more than 34 countries around the world. The FMA team is regularly called upon to address our clients’ most unique challenges including engagements focused on risk advisory, transaction support, portfolio workout, valuation & risk assessment, and overall business strategy.
BlackRock is seeking a top-tier candidate to join its Financial Markets Advisory (“FMA”) team in New York City. The candidate should have a passion for financial markets, and have specific experience and expertise in treasury, liquidity, funding and balance sheet management. The candidate should be able to demonstrate a command of liquidity and treasury topics on a conceptual, as well as analytical level (e.g., liquidity risk management and producing supporting analytics or models). The candidate has a history of demonstrating a commitment to the highest levels of client service and integrity, and a desire to contribute strong analytical and leadership skills to an innovative and growing global platform. As a subject matter specialist in FMA, the candidate will work with a diverse and stimulating group of professionals to execute assignments across a variety of client types, asset classes, and regulatory environments.
The candidate will be responsible for the successful execution and delivery of assignments across a range of complexity with a focus on Large-Cap Banks in the treasury, liquidity and balance sheet management space. The candidate will possess a deep understanding of liability characteristics and risks to complement our leading asset-side knowledge base. S/he will possess demonstrated subject matter expertise in these areas, ideally with an established track record of commercial accomplishments in complex topics and services. The candidate will contribute as a subject matter specialist in pursuit and execution of treasury and liquidity related client engagements, assisting in commercial lead qualification, project execution and delivery of final work product. Additionally, the candidate will apply relevant technical skills and subject matter expertise to expand FMA’s services coverage in the treasury and liquidity space and more broadly within balance sheet management.
Specifically, the candidate will be expected to:
- Contribute to business development, engagement planning and design approach by serving as a subject matter specialist in the treasury space;
- Perform hands-on execution activities and provide guidance to solving complex treasury and liquidity related engagements within multi-disciplinary project teams including subject matter specialists, data and analytical experts, researchers and generalists;
- Support additional client outreach and relationship development within adjacent treasury, liquidity and balance sheet management areas;
- Play a hands-on role in client project execution by creating content, serving as a thought leader and providing solutions-based advice for our clients (e.g., LCR optimization, NSFR, funds transfer pricing, stress liability management and analytics, collateral management, intraday liquidity management, NII and NIR); and
- Enforce BlackRock’s fiduciary culture of providing the highest quality service and work product to our clients.
The candidate will be expected to support the growth of the FMA business by:
- Contributing to new treasury and liquidity services development, working alongside the broader team to conceive, develop, and market innovative solutions for new and existing clients;
- Think innovatively, creatively, critically and logically in a client-facing capacity and align advisory business strategy and capabilities to evaluate product development to drive profitable growth;
- Focus on development of balance sheet management solutions (e.g., balance sheet optimization, liquidity management, liquidity risk pricing and allocation), working with cross-functional FMA and BlackRock teams;
- Support the team’s mission in developing the knowledge base of the FMA as it relates to specialist areas of focus;
- Remain current on policymaking, market and other events impacting the financial services industry, acting as a thought leader and strategist across the practice; and
- Developing and leveraging relationships across the BlackRock platform to better serve our client base.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced professional who has demonstrated the ability to lead complex projects with multiple stakeholders and/or has led teams, particularly in liquidity risk management, balance sheet management or treasury roles.
Key qualifications for candidates interested in joining FMA include:
- 10+ years of professional experience in banking or consulting, with a focus in treasury, liquidity or balance sheet management areas, with liabilities being a particular focus;
- Genuine passion for the financial markets and a self-determined drive to achieve superior performance;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and direct a diverse, cross-functional team in a consultative fashion;
- Experience in a Treasury, Liquidity Risk Management or Treasury Strategy role;
- Practitioner’s experience with bank regulatory issues (U.S. / Global) , especially Basel III capital and RWA, LCR and NSFR requirements;
- Deep understanding and experience related to liquidity stress scenarios and modelling stress asset and liability forecasting for specific bank products or across the balance sheet;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to synthesize complex ideas into clear messages and the acumen to lead discussions with project teams and client senior management;
- Excellent problem solving abilities, intellectual curiosity, and experience understanding complex issues;
- Superior organizational skills with the ability to perform under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced, high-intensity environment;
- Strong quantitative and technical skills, including knowledge of financial and accounting concepts;
- Ability to leverage and evaluate different modelling approaches and software platforms (e.g., R, SAS, Python, Excel/VBA, etc.) by careful consideration of client’s objectives, expertise and infrastru
cture (desirable); and
- CTP, CFA, FRM or other relevant certification (desirable).
Characteristics we seek include:
- Team-player attitude with collaborative instincts and strong interpersonal skills;
- Entrepreneurial mind-set and willingness to expand skill set;
- Client-focused approach and willingness to take on additional responsibility to meet client needs;
- Action-oriented and willingness to roll up sleeves;
- Unquestioned integrity and the highest ethical standards;
- A high-degree of initiative and a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit;
- Courage of convictions and the ability to respectfully debate the status quo; and
High levels of demonstrated ownership over work product and project engagement.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.