Director, Business Management (Corporate & Infrastructure Ratings)
The Level: 13 (Internal use only) Role Purpose
The Senior Business Manager (SBM) is a critical role in enabling the effective and efficient operations of the global Ratings practices and playing a key part in driving the transformation to an increasingly digital operating model. As a strategic execution partner to practice and functional leaders, the SBM uses their business knowledge and operational acumen to convert strategy into action and results.
The SBM provides Business Management support directly to the global leader of a practice or function. With global accountability for supporting a specific practice/function, the SBM directly supports North America and EMEA and works closely with regional Business Management roles in Asia-Pacific and LATAM. While the SBM will support a specific practice/function, a key mandate of their role will be to drive cross-practice convergence, operational simplification and standardization wherever possible. The role therefore requires a high level of cross-functional collaboration with a strong network across the organization to effectively solve problems and create productive partnerships.
A continuous improvement mind-set coupled with role-modeling Lean and Agile behaviors will enable the SBM to extend their impact beyond the efficient and effective running of the practice/function to driving transformation change across Ratings. This includes leadership of tier 3 projects with a key objective to improve the pace of execution and decision making along with quality of outcomes. To enable these results the SBM will form highly collaborative partnerships with other functions including IT, Data and Commercial.
As an execution and planning partner to GPLs and other functional leaders, the SBM ensures leaders have the management information they need to make decisions on a timely basis and access to resources across the network. Responsibilities also include logistical and planning support such as off-sites, town-halls and huddles. Compiling presentation materials with a high level of independence and skill at story-telling will be a key capability Business Impact
The SBM's role is one with global impact and coverage across the practices/functions supported and across the broader analytical community. It works closely with Global Practice Leaders, LAMs and their teams to be at the forefront of strategy, planning and execution of the teams' priorities. As part of a global Business Management function the role will connect different teams, capabilities and ideas to drive highly effective and collaborative partnerships. Key Responsibilities
Capabilities & Key Attributes
- Project Owner of tier 3 practice/function and cross-functional initiatives. As a Project Owner the SBM is accountable for the successful execution and delivery of the project along with defined business value.
- Strategic planning, objective setting and success metrics/KPIs with GPL/functional leaders.
- Develop of practice/function-specific metrics and KPIs that roll-up to an overall functional level. KPIs will be actionable and provide a true indication of progress/success against objectives.
- People-planning and helping optimize the shape-of-the-organization. This involves close collaboration with LAMs, AMs and other functional leaders to understand the dynamics of the organization and provide strategic guidance and tactical support in optimizing the workforce to meet business objectives.
- Proactively identifies business and process improvement opportunities and leverages the Business Transformation team to support the analysis and implementation of change.
- Logistics and planning support for events including off-site meetings, town-halls, external events. This includes preparation of materials including PowerPoint decks and other written material, as well as ensuring that these events have clear, actionable outcomes.
- Aid in supporting the Lean Management system by role modeling the right behaviors and helping the analytic teams with a standard approach to components of the system (huddles, coaching, etc.)
- As part of the global, cross-practice team, help drive convergence in process across the practice areas globally.
Background & Experience
- The role requires a deep understanding of S&P Global Ratings' business, ideally with experience working across multiple functions. The SBM will need to understand developments, operations and issues across multiple and diverse business areas.
- A strong customer focus is required which requires understand of who our customers are and how they use our products.
- As an Associated role the SBM will provide a bridge between Analytical and Commercial functions requiring knowledge of both sides of the business.
- A strong working knowledge of S&P Lean and Agile roles, processes and philosophy is required. This is critical to role modeling behaviors and developing team capabilities.
- While this role is not a technical one it requires a keen interest and desire to learn about technology and data with a "digital mindset" when thinking about problem solving and engaging partners to deliver solutions.
About S&P Global Ratings
- 10+ Years in Industry: Financial Services or related
- 7+ Years in a Management Role
- Experience leading complex initiatives highly valued
- Exposure to different parts of the organization in a variety of roles preferable
S&P Global Ratings is the world's leading provider of independent credit ratings. Our ratings are essential to driving growth, providing transparency and helping educate market participants so they can make decisions with confidence. We have more than 1 million credit ratings outstanding on government, corporate, financial sector and structured finance entities and securities. We offer an independent view of the market built on a unique combination of broad perspective and local insight. We provide our opinions and research about relative credit risk; market participants gain independent information to help support the growth of transparent, liquid debt markets worldwide.
S&P Global Ratings is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.spglobal.com/ratings
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com
and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.