Director/ Manager, Taxation (Note: Title (Director or Manger) will depend on the experience level of the candidate)
Reporting directly to the Senior Vice President of Taxation, the newly created role of [Director/ Manger], Taxation will primarily involve providing transaction support for all Brookfield Property Group ("BPG") deals, including those of publicly traded Brookfield Property Partners L.P. ("BPY") and a number of global private equity funds. This role offers an excellent opportunity for career development and growth as a tax professional in a highly dynamic and challenging work environment.
BPG is Brookfield's most significant investment platform, made up of our sector-specific portfolios in the office, retail, multifamily, industrial and hotel sectors. With over $160 billion of real estate assets currently under management and interests in over 400 million square feet of commercial space globally, we are one of the world's largest and most sophisticated owners, operators and investors in property.
BPY is a global commercial property company that owns, operates and invests in best-in-class office, retail, multifamily and industrial real estate. The company is one of the few property organizations with a global business, with operating platforms in the U.S., Canada, Europe, Australia and Brazil, and a strategy to allocate capital to the most attractive property opportunities around the world.
Brookfield Strategic Real Estate Partners ("BSREP") I, BSREP II, and BSREP III, BPG's flagship global real estate funds, invest opportunistically in a variety of types of real estate, with an emphasis on North America, Europe, Brazil, Asia, India and Australia. The funds target positions of control or influence in direct properties, real estate companies, distressed loans and securities with a focus on multi-faceted distressed real estate turnarounds and recapitalizations.
For more information on BPG, BPY and BSREP I and II please visit:
https://www.brookfield.com/en/Investors/Private-Funds Primary Responsibilities:
- Transaction Support
- Work on, and assist the SVP of Taxation with, transactions for BPG, BPY, BSREP I, BSREP II, BSREP III and other private equity funds
- Prepare internal memoranda and other documentation, as required, in connection with proposed/executed transactions
- Maintain appropriate transaction documentation in accordance with BPG's risk management policies
- Provide support to the BPG tax team members responsible for BPG/BPY/private fund tax compliance in respect of executed transactions that need to be reported
- Liaise with and manage external law firms and accounting firms that provide advice on BPG transactions
- Stay current with changing tax laws and evolving structures that may impact BPG transactions and structures
- Tax lawyer with 5-8 years tax experience at a law firm;
- Strong technical knowledge of US tax rules including M&A tax, partnership tax, REITs and real estate transaction structuring;
- Solid understanding of cross-border tax issues (for example, Subpart F) and US treaty analysis;
- Experience managing large complex transactions and assignments;
- Ability to multi-task and work in a very fast-paced and team-oriented environment;
- Strong project management skills and applies a pragmatic and efficient approach to handling complex assignments;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to describe complex tax concepts to various non-tax audiences in a clear and concise manner; and
- Self-motivated and proactive with respect to managing workload and professional development.