Data Science Portfolio Management Program - Analyst
Job Description: Firm Overview:
Blackstone is one of the world's leading investment firms. We seek to create positive economic impact and long-term value for our investors, the companies we invest in, and the communities in which we work. We do this by using extraordinary people and flexible capital to help companies solve problems. Our asset management businesses, with over $545 billion in assets under management, include investment vehicles focused on private equity, real estate, public debt and equity, non-investment grade credit, real assets and secondary funds, all on a global basis. Further information is available at www.blackstone.com. Follow Blackstone on Twitter @Blackstone. Team:
Blackstone Data Science Team Description:
Blackstone Data Science ("BXDS") is the firm-wide team that uses advanced analytics and statistical methods to make us better investors and business operators. Integrated into our investing groups, we focus on data-driven questions that matter to business and can be solved through the application of programmatic data analysis, statistics, and machine learning. We develop insights through alternative datasets and analytical methods to help fill in gaps in our understanding of specific assets and markets, as well as help source new investment and partnership opportunities.
BXDS is part of the firm's Portfolio Operations Group. In private equity, we work hand-in-hand with deal teams to identify potential sources of corporate value that could be quantified and underwritten through data science. In our portfolio companies, we drive operating efficiencies and create incremental and new revenue streams by working directly with our management teams. In real estate, we work alongside deal teams to evaluate attractiveness of local markets based on novel datasets and proprietary geospatial models.
We are a team of data scientists, engineers, and strategists that analyze complex datasets, develop predictive and analytical models, build production-quality data flows, and advise on smarter data utilization. We sit at the intersection of quantitative and investment analysis, and focus only on projects that "move the needle." You will have the opportunity to work directly with senior management at Blackstone as well as with top executives from our portfolio companies. If you enjoy fast-paced, stimulating quantitative work with tangible business impact, BXDS may be a good fit for you. Job Title:
Data Science Portfolio Management Program - Analyst Job Description:
Blackstone Data Science is looking for Analysts to join their Portfolio Management Program (PMP). The program begins with a three to six month training period at Blackstone's New York City office with hands-on experience working with BXDS. The training period is followed by two years of rotational assignments on location at various Blackstone portfolio companies, working with company management teams to accelerate their analytics journey and provide a competitive advantage through data analytics.
The program is designed to offer accelerated career growth through diverse experiences at portfolio companies in multiple industries. During each assignment, participants will live and work in different geographic regions while building expertise in developing analytics practices and gaining exposure to key business functions and leaders. Program participants will be focused on driving tangible business value and are expected to be a leader within their company in fostering best practices around analytics, data visualization, and data-driven decision making.
A BXDS Portfolio Management Program Analyst will focus on all stages of the data science life cycle. They are expected to own business intelligence, statistical analysis, and the streamlining of decision making processes through systematized scripts, and data visualization. They will work directly with company management as well as operating and technology professionals. The ideal candidate is passionate about the analytics process, has experience working with a diverse set of datasets and within a variety of environments, and has experience delivering business value from unstructured objectives. Successful candidates will be intellectually curious with strong business acumen, fast learners comfortable in a fast-paced environment, and articulate communicators. This is a high-visibility role with an ability to quickly effectuate change through data analytics. Additional information:
- Assignments will vary by company, but in all companies they will serve as an analytics leader within their business unit or functional area
- Locations may be domestic or international depending on need and availability
- Individual assignments vary from 6 to 18 month commitments, and participants are expected to complete two years of rotations in aggregate
- To ensure participants' support and growth, PMP analysts will be paired with mentors, attend annual PMP conferences at the Blackstone office, and will attend networking sessions within Blackstone
- Post-program career opportunities include a permanent role at a portfolio company, a position within Blackstone, or additional rotations at other portfolio companies
- 2-3 years of work experience in a data-driven professional setting as a data scientist, data/business analyst, or data engineer
- Undergraduate degree, with a strong preference for a technical degree
- Data analysis experience in Python and SQL, and experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau or PowerBI
- A strong intuition for analytical methodologies and desire to solve novel technical challenges
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to adapt to new challenges in a dynamic and fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects
- Self-starter who can work independently and meet deadlines with minimal oversight
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize deliverables and meet demanding deadlines
- Ability to work well within a team or independently
- Strong command of Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, and Word
- Willingness to relocate based on assignment is a requirement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, national origin or any other category protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to complete your application, please contact Human Resources at 212-583-5000 (US), +44 (0)20 7451 4000 (EMEA) or +852 3656 8600 (APAC).
The Blackstone Group and its affiliates provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, marital or partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic predisposition, veteran or military status, status as a victim of domestic violence, a sex offense or stalking, or any other classification prohibited by applicable law.
To submit your application please complete the form below. Fields marked with a red asterisk * are required in order to enter into a possible employment contract (although some can be answered " prefer not to say "). Failure to provide this information may compromise the follow-up of your application. When you have finished click Submit
at the bottom of this form.