Cybersecurity Forensic Investigator, National Incident Response Team - Federal Reserve (NY, NJ, TX, VA)
At the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, the work we do is consequential and challenging. Our environment encourages growth and diversity. Our employees flourish in a team-oriented atmosphere and are dedicated to the important mission of the New York Fed. What we do:
The National Incident Response Team (NIRT), a national service provider for the Federal Reserve System (FRS), delivers effective and efficient national intrusion detection, incident response, security intelligence, threat assessment, and vulnerability assessment services for the System. The mission of the NIRT is to play a leading role in the System’ efforts to protect its information systems against unauthorized use. Your role as a Cybersecurity Forensic Investigator:
NIRT Incident Response (IR) leads response efforts for cybersecurity events and serves as ‘first responders’ for suspected security incidents. When attacks are detected, the response team works in partnership with national and local teams to assess and contain the threat, minimize the impact, and ensure stakeholders are informed.
Additionally NIRT IR provides digital forensic investigation services to supplement incident response and insider risk management efforts. NIRT executes digital investigations involving a variety of digital evidence types and devices, such as workstations, virtual machines, servers, cloud assets, and mobile devices.
NIRT IR performs reverse engineering of malware to help identify the tactics, techniques, and procedures used against the System and our partner organizations. This analysis guides responsive efforts and supplements externally sourced intelligence to better inform detection and further enhance the security posture of the System and our partner organizations. Qualifications: What we are looking for:
The Federal Reserve Bank of New York is committed to a diverse workforce and to providing equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, or military service. Why the Fed:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Cybersecurity, Systems Analysis or a domain related field or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Typically requires 6 years of combined IT and security work experience with a broad range of exposure to systems analysis, application development, systems administration and over 3 years’ experience in computer network defense, computer network exploitation, incident response, computer forensics, malware reversing, cyber intelligence or engineering principles discipline
- Ability to obtain and maintain security clearance, which requires US Citizenship
- Manages security incidents and conducts incident analysis, containment, protection, mitigation, and recovery activities across the System
- Analyzes all relevant data sources for attack indicators and potential network compromise
- Responds to different attack vectors such as data exfiltration, DDoS, malware, and phishing
- Develops scripts and tools to improve the efficiency of incident detection and response processes
- Performs forensic investigations and reporting with minimal oversight
- Prepares and presents investigation and/or forensic analysis findings to technical and business area stakeholders with tailored reports and case close out meeting
- Performs malware behavioral analysis and limited reversing and documents the results of this analysis clearly and concisely
- Identifies gaps/opportunities for enhancements to workflows and processes for enhancing the incident response and forensics lifecycle
- Routinely supports cross-team initiatives to help implement cybersecurity improvements
- Knowledge of cloud computing security
Working at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York positions you at the center of the financial world with a unique perspective on national and international markets and economies. You'll work in an environment with a diverse group of talented professionals to foster and support the safety, soundness, and vitality of our economic and financial systems. It's a challenge that demands the skills of a financial services professional and the intellectual curiosity of an academic—all combined with a passion for public service.
The Federal Reserve Bank of New York is committed to a work environment that respects and fully values the strengths and differences of its people. Working at the New York Fed provides talented professionals the chance to grow their skills at an institution that has served a critical role in the financial system of the United States and the world for over a century. An important component of the Bank’s diversity effort is our partnership with several professional non-profit organizations, including INROADS, JumpStart Advisory Group, NBDC Emerging Leaders, Seizing Every Opportunity, National Black MBA, Out for Undergrad, Prospanica and Reaching Out MBA. Click here to learn more.