Cybersecurity Data Scientist - National Incident Response Team (NY/NJ)
At the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, the work we do is consequential and challenging. Our environment encourages growth and diversity. Our employees flourish in a team-oriented atmosphere and are dedicated to the important mission of the New York Fed. What we do:
The National Incident Response Team (NIRT), a national service provider for the Federal Reserve System, delivers effective and efficient national intrusion detection, incident response, security intelligence, threat assessment, and vulnerability assessment services for the Federal Reserve System. The mission of the National Incident Response Team is to play a leading role in the Federal Reserve System's efforts to protect its information systems against unauthorized use. Your role as Cybersecurity Data Scientist :
The mission of NIRT's Incident Detection and Analysis (IDA) team is to be an agile team that effectively detects, analyses and investigates information security incidents for its customers. The team is focused on ensuring the security and integrity of critical enterprise systems and environments through the use of various analytical data mining techniques and automated tactics. As the Cyber Security Data Scientist, you are primarily responsible for advancing the NIRT's threat detection strategy through the blended application of mathematical and computer science methodologies and techniques. You are also responsible for expanding the team's data science capabilities by assessing and training team members; you will serve as a data science subject matter expert for the NIRT. Furthermore you will execute core detection responsibilities in order to remain familiar with operational data.
Qualifications: What we are looking for:
- Build, deploy, and monitor predictive models using supervised and unsupervised learning methods to improve threat detection.
- Develop statistical tests to make data-driven recommendations and decisions.
- Find new uses for existing data sources and makes recommendations for the acquisition of new sources of information.
- Apply machine learning and data mining skills to correlate datasets and events to develop dynamic security alerts.
- Investigate security incidents through data analysis and information gathering.
- Produce reports and presentations to illustrate results of data science activities.
- Collaborate with other teams to improve detection capabilities holistically.
- Assess and train detection analysts to expand the IDA team's data science capabilities through the development of a remote and onsite data science training package that supports individual and team training.
- Ability to work weekends on a rotational basis with the rest of the team to ensure 24x7 coverage of Threat Analysis Center (TAC).
The Federal Reserve Bank of New York is committed to a diverse workforce and to providing equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, or military service. Why the Fed:
- At a minimum a M.S. degree in Computer Science, Statistics, or Engineering or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 4 years of Data Scientist experience.
- Ability to obtain and maintain National Security Clearance, which includes US Citizenship.
- Strong Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing skills.
- Strong experience with data mining and analytic methods (e.g., clustering, sequences, time series, deep learning, statistical analytics, etc.)
- Strong mathematical background (e.g., linear algebra, calculus, probability and statistics, etc.)
- 6 months of cybersecurity experience with a preferred interest in reviewing and analyzing security events from various monitoring and logging sources to identify and/or confirm suspicious activity.
- Working knowledge of cloud computing technology is preferred but not required.
- Hands on experience performing incident detection and analysis in a 24x7 operational environment is a plus.
- Proven ability to collaborate, build relationships and influence individuals at all levels in a matrix-management environment.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including Visio and Project.
Working at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York positions you at the center of the financial world with a unique perspective on national and international markets and economies. You'll work in an environment with a diverse group of talented professionals to foster and support the safety, soundness, and vitality of our economic and financial systems. It's a challenge that demands the skills of a financial services professional and the intellectual curiosity of an academic—all combined with a passion for public service.
The Federal Reserve Bank of New York is committed to a work environment that respects and fully values the strengths and differences of its people. Working at the New York Fed provides talented professionals the chance to grow their skills at an institution that has served a critical role in the financial system of the United States and the world for over a century. An important component of the Bank’s diversity effort is our partnership with several professional non-profit organizations, including INROADS, JumpStart Advisory Group, NBDC Emerging Leaders, Seizing Every Opportunity, National Black MBA, Out for Undergrad, Prospanica and Reaching Out MBA.