Custom Index Manager
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- S&P Global
- 17 Jan 19
Custom Index Manager
The Role: Custom Index Manager
The Location: New York, NY - 55 Water Street
The Team: The US/Canada Custom Index Management team manages a wide range of high profile indices based on US and Canadian equities.
The Impact: The Custom Index Manager is responsible for a wide range of US equity-based indices. The Custom Index Manager is required to make presentations to Index Committees for all matters relevant to their assigned indices and is also required to act as a backup to other managers in the department, making in-depth knowledge of their product line essential.
What's in it for you:
- As a Custom Index Manager, you will work collaboratively with a wide range of indices across global markets and must be able to analyze and implement complex index methodology and solve non-routine problems on an on-going basis. Responsible for all aspects of an assigned group of indices and as part of that responsibility, makes recommendations for index membership and presents changes to the index committee.
- You will manage and participate in global projects.
- The Custom Index Manager will be a subject matter expert, an example and escalation point for more junior team members and a back-up for the team leader.
- Preparing and calculating S&P and Dow Jones branded indices, ensuring timely and accurate delivery of real-time and end-of-day index data to clients and end users
- Ensure corporate actions of company constituents in each assigned index are correctly applied in SPDJI proprietary system according to index methodology and validate special treatment for index specific items
- Perform analytical research on companies to determine the composition of assigned indices, interpreting complex index methodology and adjusting data in our calculation system, and adjusting the data to conform to the rules of the index.
- Perform index rebalances by interpreting index methodology, running models and research for adds/drops, implementing changes and communicating these appropriately to clients, all with a focus on quality and accuracy.
- Serve on the index committees and make presentations of original, non-routine analysis to committee in support of the indices for which the senior index manager is responsible.
- Take responsibility for the management of high profile indices, acting as an industry expert and displaying in-depth knowledge of our product lines.
- Manage and maintain key relationships with other groups within the department and across other departments, particularly Product Management, Client Coverage, Index Services and IT Support
- Work in close coordination with the technology group and production support group to further enhance our system capabilities
- Able to manage multiple projects and deadlines. The projects involve; requirements gathering, analytical thinking, compilation of data, and documentation
What We're Looking For:
- Bachelor's Degree or related experience
- Understanding of global financial markets
- Must be able to work independently on multiple projects with minimal direction or supervision.
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent analytical and quantitative capabilities to solve original, non-routine problems in a timely and insightful manner
- Superior computer skills in Excel, Word and related applications
- Strong numerical skills
- Advanced degree in business, math, economics, or finance strongly preferred
- Ability to assume responsibility, work with others and manage projects
- Requires excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to coordinate work done by multiple people and / or groups.
- At least 1+ years of professional experience in index management or similar role preferred.
- Experience with corporate action research, stock-screening, index rebalancing
- Strong understanding of how indices are used, the impact of different methodologies, corporate event events on both indices and financial portfolios.
- Ability to learn S&P's proprietary index calculation engines
- Knowledge of vendor terminals and vendors data and analytical platforms
- Knowledge of programming languages such as VBA, SQL, or Matlab is considered an asset, but is not required
At S&P Dow Jones Indices, our role can be described in one word: essential. We're the largest global resource for index-based concepts, data and research, and home to iconic financial market indicators, such as the S&P 500® and the Dow Jones Industrial Average®. More assets are invested in products based upon our indices than any other index provider in the world; with over 1,000,000 indices, S&P Dow Jones Indices defines the way people measure and trade the markets. We provide essential intelligence that helps investors identify and capitalize on global opportunities.
S&P Dow Jones Indices is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.spdji.com.
To all recruitment agencies: S&P Global does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward such resumes to any S&P Global employee, office location or website. S&P Global will not be responsible for any fees related to such resumes.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law
Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.