Credit Review, Assistant Vice President
About the Team
Credit Review Americas (CRAD) was established to act as an independent continuous monitoring function for the Americas operations of Mizuho Bank, Ltd. (MHBK) and operations in Canada, Mexico, and Brazil ("non-U.S. Americas") as well as to ensure compliance with relevant U.S. regulatory guidance and alignment with established U.S. bank best practices. CRAD's mission is to operate as a third line of defense ("3rd LOD") independent from the approval process and provide an independent assessment and objective challenge that will ensure accurate credit ratings, adherence to policies, effective credit risk management and assist in the early detection of loan problems. Purpose
The incumbent will have a key role:
● Evaluating activities of lending transactions and Americas Corporate Banking Department (ACBD) and Americas Credit Department (ACD) personnel to ensure compliance with risk ratings, policies, approvals, monitoring and risk assessments.
● Supporting the CRAD team in conduct of target reviews; continuous monitoring reviews, risk assessments and reporting.
● Performing independent, objective and timely assessment of the MHBK portfolio borrower relationships, credit risk ratings and credit risk management process.
● Monitoring designated MHBK portfolio industry sectors and performing risk assessments.
● Conducting ad-hoc/ancillary projects in support of the overall CRAD function. Responsibilities
- Evaluate lending transactions and ACBD and ACD to ensure compliance with risk ratings, adherence with policies and procedures, underwriting guidelines, portfolio management and regulatory guidance as well as expectations.
- Provide management with objective assessment of the assigned sector of the MHBK loan portfolio and ensuring emerging risks are identified and highlighted.
- Evaluate borrower financial performance through the assessment of financial statements and credit risk metrics, including income statement, cash flow statement, balance sheet, capital structure analysis and all base as well as stress-scenario financial projections as required.
- Perform credit risk assessments of and monitor designated MHBK portfolio sectors including the quantity of credit risk, quality of credit risk management and direction of credit risk along with adherence to Bank risk appetite
- Assist CRAD Managing Director in executing the Annual Plan, providing financial and regulatory reporting and meeting regulatory requirements.
- Provide insights and advisory collaboration to ACBD and ACD on risk identification, credit risk management processes and regulatory guidance.
- Understand how the MHBK risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day to day activities and decisions.
- Document findings, draft potential review issues and perform issue tracking up to resolution.
- Support day to day administration of CRAD, to include reporting requirements and regulatory interface support.
- Assist coordination of MHBK portfolio data integrity for review sampling and reporting.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of all policies and procedures related to lending, credit ratings and problem loan monitoring. Proactively recommend changes to MHBK's and CRAD policies and procedures as needed.
- Work in standard office based environment, with non-standard hours a common occurrence.
- Perform ad-hoc/ancillary projects in support of the overall CRAD function.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of MHBK's compliance rules and regulations in accordance with the directives of Americas Legal & Compliance Department (ALCD) and in compliance with MHBK's Code of Conduct.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent corporate banking work experience with post graduate degree and/or CFA preferable.
- Minimum 5 year's experience (bank, rating or U.S. bank regulatory agency, consulting etc.), with formal credit training, including ability to perform fundamental and comprehensive financial analysis of historical and projected financial statements across a variety of industries and credit structures, a plus.
- Knowledge of U.S. regulatory environment and emerging risks.
- Computer proficiency (MS Office) and ability to acclimate to MHBK proprietary systems.
- Ability and willingness to articulate well-supported credit review opinion, including those divergent from ACBD and ACD officers.
- Collaborative approach to work with the CRAD team and ACBD and ACD officers.
- Capacity to manage competing project priorities and a diverse workload.
- Strong interpersonal skills, strong work ethic and self-motivated.
- Ability to work independently, accept accountability and demonstrate initiative.
- Available to conduct domestic and foreign travel, if needed.
Mizuho Americas is a leading financial institution comprising several legal entities, which together offer clients corporate and investment banking, financing, securities, treasury services, asset management, research and more. Mizuho's operations in the Americas connect a broad client base of major corporations, financial institutions and public sector groups to local markets and a vast global network. Mizuho Americas is an integral part of the Japan-based Mizuho Financial Group, Inc. (NYSE: MFG), which is comprised of offices in nearly 40 countries, approximately 60,000 employees, and assets of more than USD 1.8 trillion. Learn more at mizuhoamericas.com.
Mizuho Bank Ltd. offers a competitive total rewards package.
We are an EEO/AA Employer - M/F/Disability/Veteran.
We participate in the E-Verify program.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.