Credit Analyst - Oil & Gas, Vice President
About the team:
The Americas Credit Department is responsible for generating or reviewing and approving all credit-related applications in the Americas. It is also responsible for determining and approving internal ratings of bank customers. Summary
This position requires an individual who can skillfully serve as a linchpin between the various stakeholders within the branches, agencies and other credit departments. The Credit Department VP must possess a good understanding of the Oil & Gas Industry and have his/her finger on the pulse of market trends in order to make accurate recommendations to senior management regarding credit requests. Core Responsibilities
- Provides effective analysis of credit including, worthiness of applicant, loan structure, risk return, applicant operating profile and industry profile including historical profit and loss performance, financial condition and cash flow. Creates cash flow projections, commenting on the reasonableness of assumptions in both management's and Mizuho's sensitivity cases. Compares the prospective borrower to its peers and notes industry trends.
- Prepares accurate, clear, well-organized and complete written summary/analysis (Credit Opinion) with recommendations for approval or decline for transactions and comprehensive annual reviews. Discusses with branches/agencies potential changes to credit structure or other conditions for which we would grant credit approval.
- Assesses valuations of E&P reserves for loans governed by borrowing base (reserve based lending, or "RBL") taking into account recommendations from independent reserve engineer, Mizuho RBL policy, regulatory guidelines, and basin(s)/other reserve characteristics. Incorporates collateral analysis in credit opinion.
- Presents credit approval recommendations to senior management.
- Recommends appropriate internal and regulatory risk rating for each customer/transaction as required.
- Directly engages in external meetings/presentations/events with syndicate banks, rating agencies, clients, law firms and other related parties, in co-ordination with coverage bankers, other product partners and Mizuho affiliates.
- Proactively monitors and assesses assigned borrowers/industry subsectors including market data such as share price, EDF, CDS or loan secondary price or other appropriate indices and reports the information and its impact on credits/industries to Senior Management in a timely manner.
- Complies with credit standards, policies, objectives and requirements. Plays strong management role with branches/agencies to ensure they understand and comply with the policies.
- Acts as liaison between, gathers information (especially on problem customers) from and exchanges views with branches/agencies/other Credit Departments and senior management regarding issues related to credit applications, monitoring, analysis, standards and policies.
Proven credit analysis skills and related analytical skills/knowledge/abilities:
- Exhibits a capacity to analyze the underlying credit trends, including the competence to accurately assess credit migration trends and default possibility of the borrowers.
- Has Oil & Gas Industry and non-IG experience, including RBL for smaller E&P companies.
- Demonstrates credit skills/ability to accurately identify and evaluate underlying risk elements of the borrowers.
- Aptitude to write well organized, accurate and in-depth reports based on information gathered and thoughtful cash flow projections.
- Strong multitasking ability to proactively monitor on an on-going basis the pool of credits to detect potential credit problems at an early stage.
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting, Business, Finance or Economics or strong quantitative background.
- Solid time management skills.
- Ability to plan and schedule work to meet both long term and short term time frames.
- Consistently demonstrates effective negotiation, verbal and written communication skills. Ability to present credit package to decision maker.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Capable of working well independently and in teams.
- Strong knowledge of Mizuho's credit policies and procedures.
- Effectively analyzes and solves problems/issues.
- Proficiency with Capital IQ, Bloomberg, MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Formalized credit training from an accredited financial institution ( 6+ years experience) and proficient financial modeling skills
Mizuho Americas is a leading financial institution comprising several legal entities, which together offer clients corporate and investment banking, financing, securities, treasury services, asset management, research and more. Mizuho's operations in the Americas connect a broad client base of major corporations, financial institutions and public sector groups to local markets and a vast global network. Mizuho Americas is an integral part of the Japan-based Mizuho Financial Group, Inc. (NYSE: MFG), which is comprised of offices in nearly 40 countries, approximately 60,000 employees, and assets of more than USD 1.8 trillion. Learn more at mizuhoamericas.com.
Mizuho Bank Ltd. offers a competitive total rewards package.
We are an EEO/AA Employer - M/F/Disability/Veteran.
We participate in the E-Verify program.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.