Cash Management Analyst - Markets Group
The New York Fed, on behalf of the Federal Reserve System, offers correspondent banking and custody services to central banks, monetary authorities and certain international organizations to facilitate their official financial operations. The Central Bank and International Account Services (CBIAS) area of the New York Fed's Markets Group serves the U.S. dollar reserve management needs of its official international customers by offering payment, custodial, clearing and settlement, collateral management, and investment and liquidity services. With more than $3.0 trillion of custodial holdings, representing about half of global U.S. dollar-denominated foreign reserves, CBIAS offers financial services that directly support the Bank’s role in international affairs, as well as monetary policy and financial stability. CBIAS currently runs a split operation with staff located in New York City and Richmond, Virginia. Description:
The Cash Management team, which is part of the Customer Account Services (CAS) staff within CBIAS, is responsible for monitoring and managing the liquidity positions of central bank accounts and for investing customer funds in USD funding and government securities markets. CAS also conducts a variety of analysis and projects in support of liquidity management and the investment process. The role includes initiating and participating in dialogue with customers and their counterparties on account management issues.
The Cash Management team seeks an analyst in the New York to provide support for its operations and associated analytical initiatives as well as to participate in a variety of project endeavors (approximate work composition: 60% operations and 40% analytics). The analyst will be expected to travel periodically to the Richmond, VA office for training and/or coverage purposes. Responsibilities:
- Monitor and manage the liquidity position of an assigned group of customer accounts in a particular geographic region. Develop expertise in account behavior for that customer group and engage customers on account behavior issues as needed;
- Execute investment actions such as the purchase and sale of Treasury securities in the primary and secondary markets as well as overnight investment in the repurchase agreement pool (RP pool), based on customer set parameters or instructions;
- Effectively execute operations to meet deadlines throughout the day, including the monitoring of intraday overdrafts in customer accounts;
- Participate in analytical endeavors aimed at understanding and anticipating customers’ liquidity needs and behaviors, and identifying trends in customer account activity relative to developments in global markets;
- Prepare charts, tables, graphs and other documentation to support senior staff and management;
- Participate in periodic re-evaluation of CBIAS liquidity and investment service offerings;
- Participate in project initiatives geared towards product development, technological enhancements, contingency planning, risk reduction, and/or improved customer service;
- Investigate and resolve business- and application-related issues.
This position requires access to FOMC information, which is limited to "Protected Individuals" as defined in the U.S. federal immigration law. Protected Individuals include, but are not limited to, U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, U.S. permanent residents who are not yet eligible to apply for naturalization and U.S. permanent residents who have applied for naturalization within six months of being eligible to do so. Screening Requirement: This position has additional screening requirements due to the information accessed while performing the job. These additional screenings would be initiated at the time of offer acceptance and can take a couple of months to be completed. You can begin work before the screening is completed; however, continued employment is contingent on acceptable screening results. The screening areas such as education/employment verification, criminal history, credit history, and reaches out to your references and people that know you well. The Federal Reserve Bank of New York is committed to a diverse workforce and to providing equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, or military service.
- Bachelor's degree in business, economics, statistics, finance, accounting, mathematics, or a related discipline.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience.
- High aptitude for performing operational activities and customer service responsibilities under time pressure with a high degree of accuracy and strong attention to detail.
- Retrieve and analyze data using queries, spreadsheets, and macros and prepare data (e.g. using graphs and charts) for use in written reports.
- Advanced Excel experience required; Access, SharePoint and Tableau experience preferred.
- Ability to provide concise, articulate and insightful analysis in written and verbal form.
- Demonstrated critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Understanding of Treasury and money markets a plus.
- Interest in international affairs a plus.
- Ability to work both independently and in cross-functional teams with colleagues across the CBIAS staff or others within the Markets Group and the Bank.