- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Verdant Ventures
- 15 Apr 19
Verdant Ventures (VV) is an emerging markets real estate development and management company with a special emphasis on long-term leased residential buildings focused on the diplomatic housing and office market. We plan to build & sell $500-$700M of real estate in Africa by 2025.
We are seeking a CFO with 15+ years of Real Estate Development / Real Estate Finance / Private Equity experience to lead the finance and risk management aspects of Verdant Ventures with a unique blend of financial acumen, real estate development experience and a desire to achieve social impact. The ideal candidate will have transactional experience in real estate, private equity or investment banking as a direct investor in emerging or frontier markets and a track record of successful exits. Desirable candidates will have an entrepreneurial spirit and thrive on the opportunity to help shape an organization, deliver strong investor returns and a deep-seated desire to make a positive impact in the world. The location of this position is flexible and can be on a fractional or part time basis.
Portfolio Oversight & Development
- Serve as an integral part of the management team of VV, working alongside the CEO to inform on business strategies.
- Key member of the management team to implement strategy of locating, building & selling $500-$700M of real estate projects by 2025
- Ensure effective HR, Accounting, Finance, legal, tax & risk management systems & processes are in place primarily for VV but also for all portfolio companies & projects
- Serve as a board member on portfolio companies
- Build financial models, budgets & assist with planning for new housing projects or new companies which the company may launch
- Oversee the review & finalization of all projects’ annual budget; monitor and manage the implementation of these budgets & plans
- Support the achievement of operational & financial goals for all projects & companies
- Train & develop team members to implement operational best practices in projects & companies
- Work with Controller to ensure effective accounting & financial systems are in place for all projects & companies.
- Review company financials and work with VV management team and portfolio management team to achieve financial targets.
- Review & finalize annual tax returns
- Achieve target project valuation and profitability for all projects in collaboration with the VV Board & Management team
Funding / Investors
- Support all project needs for funding. Work with pipeline of existing investors who have expressed interest in funding future projects, while also working to expand the network of funding sources available for growth.
- Manage the investment of Company funds in accordance with the strategy & budget.
- Contribute to the quarterly / annual investor reports for all companies.
- Achieve targeted returns for VV shareholders
- Lead negotiations banks and equity investors for all future project investments.
- Support project transactions - financial analysis, budgeting & planning
Overall Leadership & Strategy
- Work with management teams to oversee the projects.
- Ensure investment process, financial reporting, risk management and other critical processes are followed.
- Manage the business finances in accordance with the strategic plan & budget.
- Improvements to financial reporting, performance management; ensure all companies have quality data collection & reporting systems including financial & performance reporting
BACKGROUND & CHARACTERISTICS:
- 15+ years of experience in real estate transactions with international investment banking, private equity or venture capital knowledge
- Commitment to generating both strong socio-economic impact and financial returns
- Long-term travel requirement is expected to be 25%
- Preference for MBA or comparable post-graduate education and training
- Emerging markets experience required
- Strong cross-cultural awareness, understanding and experience
- Team player with strong relational skills
- Sound decision maker
- Excellent project management skills
- Analytically and strategically minded
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented
- Excels in an entrepreneurial environment
- Adept communicator both orally and written