Business Management Associate
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- New York Life Insurance Company
- 14 Dec 17 2017-12-14
Business Management Associate
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion**. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity-the values upon which New York Life was founded-have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
This role works on a Chief of Staff team to help drive several business operations and ensure smooth operations and coordination across several departments. Strong emotional intelligence and attention to detail is required. This position interacts with senior leaders directly and juggles many responsibilities at once. Candidates need to be agile and able to pivot quickly. An analytical mindset and the ability to synthesize information/data into a clear story are essential.
Leadership team support (Retail Life & Marketing)
- Provide adhoc support across various initiatives that help drive business strategies across departments
- Development of various excel reports and presentations for leaders
- Maintain bi-weekly Retail Life key dates calendar
- Provide key updates on 'happenings' across New York Life (office moves, etc.)
- Coordination projects across departments and sub-departments
- Coordinate logistics of Retail Life and Marketing town halls including all sites
- Support development of senior leader presentations
- Coordinate offsite and onsite leadership meetings (working w/ vendors where appropriate)
- Own and execute on logistics for departmental learning initiatives
- Coordinate and plan Retail Life Management Team and Marketing Management Team meetings
- Plan department-wide holiday party
- Create engagement strategy including executing on Employee Engagement survey action plan
- Support engagement efforts across sub-departments in Retail Life and Marketing
- Liaise with Corp Comm on intranet sites - Retail Life Connect and Marketing Connect
- Lead role in events like Giving Campaign, Take Our Kids to Work Day, and Volunteer activities
- Support "Applause" recognition program across Retail Life & Marketing sharing reports throughout the year
- Create and support onboarding process for new employees
- Monitor for and support diversity and inclusion opportunities
- Support Retail Life & Marketing Budget Coordinators (PF5)
- Headcount reconciliation - own monthly reporting to monitor all adds, exits, and open roles
- Partner with HR Business Partner and Talent Acquisition to be aware of all incoming hires
- Partner with Finance on ongoing headcount requests/needs
- Own org chart maintenance
- Security officer/liaison
- Record Retention coordination
- Business Continuity
- General collaboration across all areas of Retail Life and Marketing
- Space planning and analysis across all (HO) floors - partnering with Corporate Services
General skills needed:
- Analytical in nature with an eye towards simplifying and summarizing data
- Works independently
- Takes initiative
- Strong attention to detail
- Agility to juggle multiple projects
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills - PowerPoint, Word, Excel
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
* Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
** Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.