Bloomberg Beta - Transactions Counsel
Bloomberg's Legal Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that arise across the Company's various businesses. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. Diversity and inclusion are essential to our success, and we strive to maintain an environment where our employees are empowered to make an impact. We also recognize the value and importance of giving back to our communities, as evidenced by our award-winning in-house pro bono program!
Reporting to the Global Head of Transactions in New York, you will be part of a dynamic and fast-paced team working primarily on venture capital investments for Bloomberg Beta, the venture capital arm of Bloomberg L.P. In addition, you will be part of a special group working on acquisitions and strategic collaborations for Bloomberg's corporate development and strategy team. We'll trust you to:
You'll need to have:
- Review investment documents for Bloomberg Beta with quick turnaround times, and provide concise and commercially focused advice on the cap table and investment terms for all stages of investment, from SAFEs to Series Seed to Series A to exits;
- Know the NVCA Series A and Y-Combinator SAFE template investment documents;
- Have strong analytical and drafting skills and work on merger, stock purchase, asset purchase, subscription, confidentiality, stockholder and other related agreements and closing documents; and
- Keep up-to-date records on hundreds of investments by Bloomberg Beta in portfolio companies.
We'd love to see:
- At least 4 years of experience practicing corporate law (securities and M&A), preferably at a top law firm;
- Strong analytical skills, good judgment and experience reviewing cap tables and drafting and negotiating acquisition and investment agreements;
- The ability to work independently in a fast-paced practice handling multiple projects;
- A strong work ethic and drive given the transactional nature of this practice;
- Attention to detail and top-notch organizational skills;
- A desire to keep up with developments in securities law and M&A case law, and contribute to updating and improving our standard form documents and templates;
- Humility and a collaborative nature, and the willingness to pitch in when necessary;
- Buy-in of the team-oriented and transparent culture at Bloomberg; and
- Membership in the New York bar or necessary qualifications to register as in-house counsel.
- An interest in early-stage start-ups in the technology sector and developments in the financial data and financial technology sectors;
- A curiosity to continually contribute to our M&A and VC practice and think of ways to support our clients efficiently and effectively while managing risks;
- Knowledge of the practice of related stakeholders, including finance, accounting, tax, employment, executive compensation, IP, and data privacy; and
- An understanding of the legal and business aspects of data, financial information and/or technology-related products and services.
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: https://www.bloombergbeta.com/
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.