Big Data Tech Lead
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley USA
- 12 Dec 18
Big Data Tech Lead
At Morgan Stanley, we advise, originate, trade, manage and distribute capital for governments, institutions and individuals, and always do so with a standard of excellence. We are a leading global financial services firm that conducts its business through three principal business segments-Institutional Securities, Wealth Management (WM), and Investment Management. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
Our WM business is one of the largest in the world with more than $2 trillion in client assets, $73 billion in lending balances, and nearly 16,000 Financial Advisors in 600+ offices across the U.S. Our Financial Advisors focus on delivering timely, customized solutions and services that help clients meet their financial and life goals. Our offering includes brokerage and investment advisory services, financial and wealth planning, access to credit and lending, cash management, annuities and insurance, and retirement services.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Global Banking Technology (GBT) is a dynamic and fast-paced area within the Firm-s WM Technology Division. We are responsible for creating innovative technology solutions for the Private Banking Group (PBG), one of the strategic growth areas of the Firm, providing cash management and lending products and services to our WM clients. This includes state-of-the-art technology for a nationwide network of Private Bankers and product specialists who work with Financial Advisors to provide access to products and services such as online banking, cards, deposit products, residential mortgages, securities-based loans and tailored lending. If you are an exceptional individual who is interested in solving complex problems and building sophisticated solutions in a dynamic team environment, GBT is the place for you.
The candidate will be working in close collaboration with reporting teams located in NY and Bangalore on various analytical programs and business initiatives. The position will be responsible for working with a wide range of commercial and open source data engineering tools and techniques such as Hive and Spark.
To be successful, the role will require the individual to be passionate about analyzing data, creating data pipelines to source systems, extracting and transforming data, as well as publishing sanitized data to downstream applications and statistical modeling teams.
Job Functions/Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partner with business teams to develop analytical products and applications using the Big Data Stack for Wealth Management.
- Closely work with business teams to understand the analytical products being leveraged and identify opportunities to re-design using firm approved open-source big data technologies.
- Design, development, and maintenance of analytical products and solutions throughout the project lifecycle.
- Evaluate and implement firm approved commercial and open source technologies while educating teams on best development practices.
- Partner with clients and business analysts to review business requirements.
- Support implemented solutions by performance tuning, code fixing, addressing client questions concerning data or applications, monitoring performance, and communicating functional and technical issues.
- 8+ years of experience building large, scalable, reliable, and high availability distributed systems with a high degree of autonomy.
- Extensive Unix shell scripting experience.
- College degree in Computer Science or related disciplines.
- Experience in relational databases such as Teradata, Oracle, etc.
- Experience using ETL tools such as Informatica PowerCenter.
- Strong Experience using Big Data batch and streaming tools within the Hadoop Ecosystem (e.g.: HDFS, HIVE, Impala, Pig, Spark, etc.).
- Strong object oriented skills; deep expertise and hands on programming experience in Core Java or Scala.
- Experience working with any of the NOSQL Databases (e.g.: HBase, Mongo, etc.).
- Well versed with Agile methodologies and experience in working within a scrum framework.
- Understanding of technology principles and services including infrastructure, business applications, data management, security, application platforms, and consumer facing technology.
- Previous experience in the financial services field, with an emphasis on banking/lending technology.
- Exposure to Machine Learning Models and technologies (e.g.: Pyspark, Spark ML, etc.).
- Excellent people management skills; including the ability to influence, and set appropriate timelines to achieve successful results through others who are not direct reports.