BGC Tech: Senior Data Developer, Data & Messaging
Main purpose of the role:
This is a senior Java/Scala development role, based at BGC Partners' New York offices, in the team responsible for the firm's Big Data analytics platform reporting to the Data Developer Lead in London. The successful candidate will work with the Data Team to build out the existing platform to support additional technology and business use-cases involving both on-premise and Cloud implementations. This will include integration of RDBMS and Data Warehouse technologies into the current system. The platform delivers data solutions across BGC Group including use-cases for: market data analytics, regulatory reporting, surveillance and revenue analysis. This role is an opportunity to provide an essential New York presence to the London-based Data Team. Key responsibilities:
To undertake and manage:
- To work in partnership with the business/business analysts to identify key requirements for implementation
- To identify any technical requirements for new products
- To work with all the business and technology departments to ensure all business and technical requirements are met
- To identify and manage any integration work
- To analyze, design and build any such projects
- To liaise with other development teams as necessary to implement cross-team projects
- To provide support for Data-related queries in collaboration with the London Data Team.
- Be alert to Conduct Risk issues, specifically the risk of harm to client interests, market integrity and/or competition in financial markets due to inappropriate practices or behaviors across the firm
Skills / experience required:
- Systems analysis and design
- Systems development
- Systems documentation
- Production support and out-of-hours system releases.
Minimum of 3 years development experience working with Big Data platforms covering the following technologies:
- Java or Scala on Linux.
- Hortonworks, Hive
- Kafka, KafkaConnect, KafkaStreaming
- Spark, SparkSQL, Yarn, Ansible
Minimum of 3 years development experience working with Relational Databases:
- Postgres SQL experience or experience of another RDBMS product.
- Experience in Relational and NoSQL data modelling.
- Experience in building Data Warehouses.
- Worked with large, time series data sets.
Additional Beneficial Skills / Experience:
- Software development experience within financial services advantageous
- Willingness to keep up to date with latest technology trends and proactively identify appropriate areas into which they can be applied
- Computing Degree
BGC: Senior Developer
- Experience in addressing efficient data storage and querying against very large stores.
- Experience in accommodating key requirements of MIFID II in designs/implementations.
- Experience in the use of high performance messaging middleware such as Tibco RV or Solace.
- AWS knowledge: S3, Kinesis, RedShift
- Must have the initiative and communications skills to carry out the role of primary Data Developer in the US, operating as an integral member of the London-based Data Team.
- Must be able to deal with our customers effectively, ie development teams working across the globe using Messaging and Data products, alongside external vendors who use the products.
- Must be able to deal with and adapt to change extremely effectively.
- Must be proactive in generating ideas and effective at developing solutions that are balanced, proportionate and effective, in collaboration with the global team.
- Ability to work and function under pressure, handle multiple tasks, and shifting priorities
- "Self-starter" always looking to improve quality of process and deliverables and keen to take a lead role in that process