Associate, Software Engineer (Java/Python) - New York/San Francisco
Description About this role
Elevate your career by joining the world's largest asset manager! Thrive in an environment that fosters positive relationships and recognizes outstanding performance! We know you want to feel valued every single day and be recognized for your contribution. At BlackRock, we strive to empower our employees and effectively engage your involvement in our success.
BlackRock is one of the world's preeminent asset management firms and a premier provider of global investment management, risk management and advisory services to institutional, intermediary and individual investors around the world. BlackRock's mission is to create a better financial future for our clients. We have a responsibility to be the voice of the investor, and we represent each client fairly and equally. Constant communication with a diverse team of partners strengthens us and delivers better results for our clients. Continuous innovation helps us bring the best of BlackRock to our clients. BlackRock offers a range of solutions - from rigorous fundamental and quantitative active management approaches aimed at maximizing outperformance to highly efficient indexing strategies designed to gain broad exposure to the world's capital markets. Our clients can access our investment solutions through a variety of product structures, including individual and institutional separate accounts, mutual funds and other pooled investment vehicles, and the industry-leading iShares® ETFs.
About the team:
Come join a diverse and collaborative group of researchers in the Sustainability Research and Modeling team within the Financial Modeling Group (FMG). FMG is responsible for the research and development of the financial models underpinning BlackRock's Aladdin platform. The models developed by FMG span a wide array of financial products and enable analysis at many different levels - from analyzing the cash flows of a single bond to understanding the risks across an entire portfolio or enterprise. These analytics empower users with flexible, quantitative risk and investment insights - both across BlackRock and for clients of Aladdin.
The Sustainability Research team is focused on building innovative models to assess the financial impacts of climate change, climate policy and energy policy on large number of asset classes - from corporate equity and fixed income, to mortgages, municipal bonds, sovereign debt and alternative investments. As climate risks and sustainable investing become an ever-increasing focus for investors, we are developing the models and analytics to help drive a deeper understanding of risks and outcomes.
About the role:
FMG is looking for a Software Engineer to work on BlackRock's sustainability initiatives. The role will be based in New York or San Francisco. The focus will be on sustainability data infrastructure, API, climate risk model implementation, and DevOps processes. You will work closely alongside climate policy experts, quantitative researchers, other software and data engineers, internal and external business stakeholders to deliver our climate and sustainability models as a product to our clients.
This is a key interfacing role between the research team, the application development team, and our clients. You will have broad exposure to BlackRock's financial modeling process involving diverse types of data and asset classes. Through this role, you will help deliver a product that has the potential to reshape industry's response to sustainability issues.
Key responsibilities include:
- Design and implementation of data and compute APIs as well as associated backend for sustainability models and data, especially related to climate risk
- Design and onboard storage and compute infrastructure to address ongoing modeling and research needs in sustainability
- Work with the research team and product owners to implement sustainability models and deploy to production
- Work with product management on planning and execution. Communicate across teams on project delivery.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Degree in Computer Science, engineering, other quantitative disciplines such as physics, or equivalent work experience. Graduate degree and/or research experience preferred
- Minimum 2 years of professional software development/DevOps experience
- Working experience in at least one compiled language (Java/Scala preferred) and one scripting language (Python preferred)
- Working experience with Unix-like operating system and shell scripting
- Experience with large datasets; experience with unstructured data a plus
- Experience with SQL or equivalent
- Able to communicate and collaborate effectively in a diverse team environment
- Demonstrated ability to learn and adapt
- Passionate about sustainability issues and sustainable investing
- Prior experience in climate science, climate policy or energy policy is a plus
- Experience with financial and economic research and quantitative modeling is a plus
- Experience with machine learning and NLP is a plus
- Cloud and cloud native experience is a plus
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.