Associate, Private Credit Investment Risk Manager (New York)
Description About this role
Elevate your career by joining the world's largest asset manager! Thrive in an environment that fosters positive relationships and recognizes outstanding performance! We know you want to feel valued every single day and be recognized for your contribution. At BlackRock, we strive to empower our employees and effectively engage your involvement in our success. Business Overview
BlackRock's Risk & Quantitative Analysis (RQA) group provides independent oversight of BlackRock's fiduciary and enterprise risks. RQA Investment Risk's principal responsibility is to ensure that the risks in BlackRock's portfolios are fully understood by our portfolio managers and senior management and are consistent with clients' objectives. We also help build "state-of-the-practice" quantitative models and analytics that help inform risk taking and portfolio construction across the firm. RQA team members tackle real-world problems, using quantitative analysis and a multi-disciplinary skillset to provide tangible solutions in the investment management process. Alternatives Risk Management
You will partner with the Global Private Credit investment team to deliver independent risk oversight, risk advice, and provide quantitative analysis to assist with portfolio construction, product design and investor engagement. You will join a team of Alternative Investments risk managers focusing on BlackRock's successful and growing array of alternative investing strategies. Key Responsibilities:
The RQA Alternatives team is seeking a candidate with risk management experience, with an emphasis on illiquid private credit, to support risk management efforts of our ~$24b Global Private Credit platform. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, daily risk management and oversight and contribution to long term, strategic projects to enhance risk and portfolio management processes.
- Partner with investment teams and businesses to ensure that risks are fully understood, consistent with client objectives and constraints, and appropriately mitigated.
- Apply quantitative techniques to real-world problems including analyzing portfolio risk taking and understanding financial markets
- Work with senior risk managers to promote rigorous governance and oversight environment to responsibly invest client capital.
- Interact regularly with investment teams to understand trends and evolving risks within the portfolios and develop appropriate responses.
- Explain complex ideas in simple but impactful terms in order to influence portfolio construction decisions
- Perform market analysis and conduct portfolio reviews alongside senior risk managers and the investment teams to ensure a thorough evaluation of portfolio risk.
- Review portfolio and business performance against objectives and relative to benchmarks or comparable peers. Employ a creative approach to risk management, modeling and scenario analysis.
- Review new investment memos, posing thoughtful questions and constructively challenging all new investments.
- Work with senior risk managers and investment team to design and implement appropriate analytical tools and reports to effectively monitor risk, communicate changes in risk appetite, and enhance decision making.
- Perform ad-hoc reporting and analyses to help address the real-time asks of senior members of the team.
- BA/BS in mathematics, quantitative finance, computer science, economics, statistics, engineering or another quantitative field; master's degree preferred
- 3-6 years of demonstrated experience in risk management, research, data analytics, or portfolio management
- Programming skills in VBA, Python, R, and/or SQL is required
- Strong analytical skills, attention to detail, a strong worth ethic and ability to work as a team and adhere to tight deadlines
- Ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team, collaborate with team members across BlackRock's global locations to conduct quantitative research on global investment markets
- Demonstrated understanding of risk management including modeling techniques and innovative approaches to solving risk/portfolio management questions.
- Outstanding interpersonal, leadership and oral/written communication skills; ability to communicate quantitative and markets concepts succinctly are a must.
- Previous experience with private debt/loans, including commercial banking, middle market direct lending, or credit hedge funds is required
- GARP, PRMIA, Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation is a plus (or interest in pursuing such certification)
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, we help millions of people build savings that serve them throughout their lives by making investing easier and more affordable.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.