Associate, Portfolio & Risk Analytics
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Locke Careers
- 07 Dec 17 2017-12-07
Our client is an established asset management firm with an excellent brand and reputation. They are adding an Associate to their Portfolio & Risk Analytics (P&RA) group of 6 team members.
The Portfolio & Risk Analytics (P&RA) Group utilizes several performance and risk analytics tools to help our clients and portfolio managers understand and monitor portfolios’ performance, exposures, styles, risks, fair market valuation of illiquid securities, and peers’ performance.
P&RA works closely with equity Portfolio Managers and Sales, Marketing, Client Services, Accounting, Compliance and IT departments to provide value added analytical support on a regular basis. P&RA also plays a central role as a source of product and market intelligence to facilitate the development of new products and enhancement of existing ones.
More recently the team has added additional capabilities by implementing the adoption of a risk factor model to enhance the Firm’s risk monitoring and reporting capabilities.
The Associate will conduct detailed risk analytics, develop reports and present results for the Firm’s Products and other investment vehicles on a regular basis.
The Associate is expected to understand the Firm’s portfolio objectives, investment processes, current market events and trends, and leverage technology to apply advanced quantitative financial knowledge to effectively respond to ad hoc and periodical requests for risk analytics.
The Associate will also have the opportunity to participate in ad hoc research projects in conjunction with portfolio managers and equity research analysts. The Associate in this position excels at problem solving and analyzing large amounts of information, effectively communicates results, and works well in cross-functional teams. A quantitative background and a proactive and professional attitude are essential.
Risk Factor Attribution Analysis
- Conduct detailed portfolios risk analysis and prepare reports
- Develop, maintain and enhance risk monitoring reports
- Prepare factor-based return and risk attribution reports on a regular basi
- Develop expertise in the use of third party risk factor models (preferably MSCI Barra models)
- Perform ad-hoc risk analysis using third party factor models and other quantitative risk tools and support P&RA risk projects and research with quantitative analysis
- Assist Manager of Risk Analytics in the preparation and presentation of risk analysis to portfolio managers, client service, sales and marketing teams
Risk Factors Exposure Analysis
- Perform regular risk exposure analyses of portfolios including liquidity, overlap, industry exposure, country exposure, geographical revenue exposures and capacity analyses
- Understand the portfolios in detail and monitor for unusual/unintended risk exposures
- Actively participate in the review and development of policies, procedures and reporting related to the implementation of new SEC liquidity rule
Country and Industry Risk Analysis
- Assist in industry and risk country classifications of companies under review (understanding of GICS classification structure is necessary)
- Oversee and maintain country and risk classifications in the Firm’s systems and assess and resolve any classification inconsistencies that may arise
- Assist Manager of Risk Analytics with ad-hoc research projects
- Prepare responses for risk-related questions for RFPs, RFI, or other client requests
- Maintain proprietary quantitative valuation models for illiquid securities
- Work closely with IT developers by providing specifications on risk-related analytics and participate in the testing and incorporation of new analytics into the Firm’s proprietary systems
- Attend risk analytics seminars and training sessions, and keep the P&RA team updated on new analytics features and enhancements
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Economics, Accounting, Finance, Mathematics or a related field
- Advanced degree in quantitative finance or another closely related discipline is desirable. CFA designation is a plus
- 2 to 5 years of relevant work experience in performance analysis, risk analysis or a similar role.
- Experience with equity risk models, especially performance and risk attribution, preferably using FactSet, Bloomberg, and/ or MSCI Barra models
- Knowledge of financial markets, portfolio management concepts, probability theory and statistical / econometric modeling and their application to investment and portfolio management principles.
- Advanced quantitative knowledge with emphasis on statistics, calculus and matrix algebra is preferred
- Familiarity with advanced analytics including modern portfolio theory and options valuation.
Skills and Abilities
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint are required (must be able to create and maintain complex spreadsheets, databases, reports, and presentations within Excel and PowerPoint). Programming knowledge is preferred
- Strong analytical skills, critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities
- Strong verbal and written communications skills with the ability to communicate complex financial topics and to successfully articulate quantitative concepts to audience(s) unfamiliar with those same concepts
- Audit and controls focused, and detail oriented
- Intellectually curious, self-directed, and possesses strong work ethic
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, prioritize workload, balance multiple projects, and produce high quality work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment and to collaborate with cross-functional teams with a highly proactive and energetic client service focus