Associate, Backend Engineer (Java)
Description About this role
At BlackRock, we are looking for Software Engineers who like to innovate and solve complex problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your unique skills, curiosity, drive, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
With over USD $9 trillion of assets, we have an exceptional responsibility: our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home, and improve their financial wellbeing.
Being a developer at BlackRock means you get the best of both worlds: working for one of the most advanced financial companies and being part of a software development team responsible for next generation technology and solutions.
The Aladdin Wealth Enterprise Business Unit Overview: We are a fast-growing FinTech business operating within BlackRock Solutions, and our mission is to demonstrate the power of BlackRock's data, scale, and financial models to give financial advisors the edge they need to build better portfolios and deliver better outcomes to their end customers.
This product is highly scalable and capable of processing and displaying analytics for millions of retail customer portfolios. Our team is responsible for the full stack of software that comprises the AWE product, including data processing pipeline, portfolio analytics calculator, proposal optimization engine, API servers, BI data warehouse, and the client-facing front-end applications.
Job Purpose/Background: We are an outstanding group of engineers that are passionate about all aspects of enterprise software development.
You are an ambitious, software engineer that can independently architect, develop, and deploy high scale back-end applications and services and can collaborate with a tight-knit team. Members of our team are encouraged to bring ideas to help shape our technical solutions and to communicate those ideas to senior leaders.
Beyond engineering, you will have a strong desire to learn the business context of your projects, so you can quickly contribute to solving problems and driving decisions to engage, learn, drive and deliver change on a global scale!
- Build, design, and implement scalable services and APIs that drive the investment management process at our clients
- Partner closely with Product Management and external client relationship management teams to improve the product offering and drive up user engagement and adoption
- Challenge the status quo to continuously innovate and improve the reliability, stability, and performance of our services layer and operational processes
- 3+ years of experience in developing applications in Java or other JVM based language
- Experience architecting and deploying complex applications from scratch in a production capacity
- Proficiency with a broad spectrum of distributed database systems
- Experience with cloud-native platforms and deployments
- Strong communicator, both written and verbal
- Able to work independently with minimal direction when appropriate
- Experience in the financial industry or knowledge of financial products/markets is a strong plus (i.e. CFA)
- BA/BS in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent practical experience
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.