Associate Application Engineering
Description About this role
At BlackRock, we are looking for Software Engineers who like to innovate and solve complex problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your unique skills, curiosity, drive, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
With over USD $9.5 trillion of assets we have an exceptional responsibility: our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial wellbeing.
Being a developer at BlackRock means you get the best of both worlds: working for one of the most advanced financial companies and also being part of a software development team responsible for next generation technology and solutions.
What is Aladdin and the Aladdin Product Group (APG)?
You will be working on BlackRock's investment operating system Aladdin. Aladdin is used both internally and externally by many financial institutions. Aladdin combines sophisticated risk analytics with comprehensive portfolio management, trading and operations tools on a single platform to power informed decision-making and create a connective tissue for thousands of users investing worldwide.
Our development team's sit inside APG. We collaboratively build the next generation of technology that changes the way information, people, and technology intersect for global investment firms. We build and package tools that manage trillions in assets and supports millions of financial instruments. We perform risk calculations and process millions of transactions for thousands of users every day worldwide!
The Trading & Liquidity team within Aladdin Product Group is responsible for designing, development and support of software used by BlackRock and BlackRock Solution clients for all trading workflows. The team's responsibilities include order management, execution management, pre and post trade analytics, algorithmic trading and liquidity discovery. The team focuses on delivering best-in-class enterprise trading solution for all financial products on one global real-time platform. We are a global team with people based in New York, London, San Francisco, Atlanta, Chicago, Gurgaon and Budapest.
The Aladdin Trading System consists of applications built using a micro-services architecture and utilizes technologies like Kafka, Apache Cassandra, a highly available NoSQL database, Apache Zookeeper, and others for its rule engine.
- Lead individual projects priorities, deadlines and deliverables using AGILE methodologies
- Deliver high efficiency, high availability, concurrent and fault tolerant software systems
- Significantly contribute to development of Aladdin's global, multi-asset trading platform
- Provide impact and expertise as a senior individual contributor in building various capabilities of the OEMS (Order & Execution Management System) like real-time market data pipelines, algorithmic trading, trade analytics, pre & post-trade TCA, watch lists, smart order routing and integrated news & twitter feeds
- Guide and mentor team members in order to build a highly performant team
- Work with product management and business users to define the roadmap for the product
- Design and develop innovative solutions to complex problems, identifying issues and roadblocks
- Be a leader with vision and a partner in brainstorming solutions for team productivity, efficiency, training and motivating developers, and hiring new developers
- 8 + years hands-on experience in Java.
- Experience in building Order and Execution Management, Trading systems is ideal
- In depth understanding of concurrent programming and experience in designing high throughput, high availability, fault tolerant distributed applications is required.
- Expertise in building distributed applications using Kafka and NOSQL technologies like Cassandra, coordination services like Zookeeper, and micro services architecture / SOA is a plus .
- Experience in message oriented middleware architecture is required.
- Understanding of relational databases is a must
- Strong analytical and software architecture design skills with an emphasis on test driven development.
- Experience in programming languages such as Scala, python would be a plus.
- Experience in using Project Management methodologies such as Agile/Scrum
- Expected to drive growth of the trading platform through performance, stability, usability and new investment product capabilities
- Effective communication and presentation skills (written and verbal) are required
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or engineering preferred.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.