Assistant General Counsel - Corporate and Securities
JobDescription : The Role:
Assistant General Counsel - Corporate and Securities Location
: 55 Water St, NY, NY 10041 The team:
This position reports directly to the Assistant Corporate Secretary and Associate General Counsel - Securities & Corporate Finance and is based in the Company's corporate headquarters at 55 Water Street, New York, NY The Impact:
The Assistant General Counsel - Corporate and Securities is responsible for supporting a business of over $6 billion in revenue and over 20,000 employees world-wide, taking significant responsibility for 1934 Act disclosure and compliance, NYSE/SEC compliance and corporate governance (including subsidiary governance), and corporate finance transactions, including capital markets transactions, credit facilities and corporate banking matters. The role will play a key role in the Company's governance and disclosure process.
The ideal candidate will be energetic, business-minded, and self-motivated attorney with 5-7 years of experience with corporate, securities and financing matters. The successful candidate will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, strong judgment and a broad range of corporate experience. What's in it for you:
The Assistant General Counsel - Corporate and Securities will work in a dynamic, fast-paced, client-facing environment and will have the opportunity to partner closely with colleagues in finance while forming part of a collaborative legal department that is valued for its clear and concise advice. Responsibilities:
What We're Looking For: Basic Qualifications:
- Draft, review and advise on the company's SEC and NYSE periodic and other filings (10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, Proxy); advise and collaborate with investor relations and finance teams in the preparation of earnings releases and other announcements
- Play a key role in managing the Company's public company corporate governance, including preparing materials for board of directors and board committee meetings and the annual meeting
- Work closely with the Chief Accounting Officer and Treasurer on transactional and financing activities, including oversight of outside counsel to ensure quality work product
- Provide counsel and oversee corporate subsidiary management and governance and oversee paralegals responsible for handling corporate secretarial tasks, including (i) corporate formalities (charters, bylaws, minutes) of the Company's subsidiaries worldwide; and (ii) design/review record-keeping systems that efficiently maintain important corporate records
- Developing strong relationships with internal constituents including Controllership, Treasury, FP&A, Internal Audit, and divisional CFOs.
- Monitoring and assessing the impact of legal and regulatory developments and enforcement trends at a state and federal level.
- Assist with other corporate legal matters, as needed
- J.D. and at least 4+ years of relevant experience gained at a leading law firm and/or in-house at a public company.
- Must be admitted, active and in good standing with the New York State bar.
- Candidate must be highly analytical and have exceptional business and legal issue identification and problem-solving skills.
- Requires a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving; candidate must be able to effectively counsel internal clients by providing them with clear, concise and pragmatic advice, and creative solutions where necessary, on established timelines to meet their business needs.
- Candidate must be able to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive attitude to the workplace and works collaboratively with other members of the Legal team and with internal clients.