- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- 23 Apr 18
Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning Research Scientist / Principal Scientist)
Location: New York, NY, USAThe Role / Responsibilities:
The Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning Research Scientist / Principal Scientist is a core member of the Emerging Business Unit (EBU) team, reporting to the Senior Director, ML and AI, Emerging Business Unit. This is a newly formed, highly visible team that is key to Moody's Analytics' (MA) long-term growth strategy that will lead our efforts to better understand and adapt to an environment characterized by widespread, technology-driven change. The EBU is charged with supporting innovation within our existing LOBs, developing opportunities in the "whitespace", enhancing our innovation process and understanding customers' technology preferences.
The Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning Research Scientist / Principal Scientist w ill, under close guidance and supervision by the Senior Director, research, design, develop, and implement innovative Machine Learning, AI, deep learning, NLP, Data Science solutions that will advance Moodys Analytics capabilities across multiple business lines. On any day, the candidate could be doing any or all of the following:
• Research emerging ML/ AI/ NLP / deep learning / Data Science solutions applied to unstructured and structured data and be conversant with latest developments in these fields
• Research and brainstorm with internal MA stakeholders to identify innovations in ML/AI/NLP / deep learning to help advance automation, knowledge discovery, decision-making and insights from structured and unstructured data (text, images, speech), and streamline business processes or enable new capabilities,
• Implement and prototype new algorithms and write code for novel ML/AI/NLP / deep learning solutions for unstructured (text, images, speech, video) and structured data in a hands-on role,
• Research and evaluate custom, novel AI/ML solutions through prototyping, POCs and quantitative metrics,
• Work with the Senior Director and the ML-AI team members in developing, evaluating, improving, and handing off solutions to stakeholder teams as needed
• Discuss, brainstorm new AI-ML advanced technology solutions with team members
• Draft reports that detail the inner workings of complex models to non-experts, in layperson terminology.
• Prepare reports, presentations, for internal and external stakeholders, and as applicable, jointly co-author publications in peer-reviewed journals and magazines.
• Assist the AI-ML Senior Director in determining tradeoffs between internal technical implementation vs. partnerships with external teams/organizations/vendors for new technology-based solutions and capabilities
• Attend, publish, and present novel research contributions at technical conferences, workshops, and meetups
Department: Emerging Business Units
- Advanced or basic degree (recent PhD from top university / MS with 5+ years experience) in a quantitative field such as CS, EE, Information sciences, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Operations Research, or related, with focus on Machine Learning , AI , NLP , deep learning, and/or / data-driven statistical analysis & modelling
- Strong foundational knowledge and applied research experience (in academic, research lab, or industry environment) in developing and applying AI/ML/ NLP / deep learning / data-driven statistical analysis & modelling solutions to problems involving unstructured data (text, images, videos, speech) and structured datasets.
- Strong, proven programming skills in Python, C/C++, Java, R , MATLAB, Scala, and with machine learning and deep learning and Big data frameworks including TensorFlow, Keras, Caffe, MXNet, Spark, Hadoop. Experience with writing complex programs and implementing custom algorithms in these and other environments.
- Experience beyond using open source tools as-is, and writing custom code on top of, or in addition to, existing open source frameworks.
- Proven capability in demonstrating successful advanced research and technology solutions (either prototypes , POCs, well-cited research publications, open-source software contributions, and/or products) using ML/AI/NLP/deep learning / data science in one or more applied or research domains,
- Experience in data visualization solutions and data visualization tools is a plus
- Additional experience with GPU programming for training deep learning models, and cloud environments such as AWS, Azure is desirable
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) to explain complex algorithms, solutions to stakeholders across multiple disciplines, and ability to work in a diverse team
- Experience in an applied R&D environment , working in an agile, innovation-lab culture to bring cutting-edge technologies to fruition, from initial concept to implementation
Moody's is an essential component of the global capital markets, providing credit ratings, research, tools and analysis that contribute to transparent and integrated financial markets. Moody's Corporation (NYSE: MCO) is the parent company of Moody's Investors Service, which provides credit ratings and research covering debt instruments and securities, and Moody's Analytics, which offers leading-edge software, advisory services and research for credit and economic analysis and financial risk management. The Corporation, which reported revenue of $4.2 billion in 2017, employs approximately 11,900 people worldwide and maintains a presence in 41 countries. Further information is available at www.moodys.com.
Moody's is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender, age, religion, national origin, citizen status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Moody's also provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with applicable laws. If you need to inquire about a reasonable accommodation, or need assistance with completing the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.. This contact information is for accommodation requests only, and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For San Francisco positions, qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. For New York City positions, qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment consistent with the requirements of the New York City Fair Chance Act. For all other applicants, qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment consistent with the requirements of applicable law.
Click here to view our full EEO policy statement. Click here for more information on your EEO rights under the law.
Candidates for Moody's Corporation may be asked to disclose securities holdings pursuant to Moody's Policy for Securities Trading and the requirements of the position. Employment is contingent upon compliance with the Policy, including remediation of positions in those holdings as necessary.