Application Support Engineer
We are seeking an Application Support professional with a minimum of 5 years of work experience to join the team in NYC. The role encompasses 2nd line technical application support for our Trade Processing applications. This person will report directly to the Regional Manager responsible for application support and will work closely with the global team contributing to the quality of our support.
Application Support is a global team that provides specialized technical support across the suite of trade processing and workflow solutions that support all participants in OTC trading from post-trade notices of execution, trade confirmation, and allocations to clearing and reporting. The application support team works collaboratively, both internally and across our customer base, operating in a sharing and learning culture with a view to build continuous improvement in our processes. Duties & Accountabilities
Key Areas of The Teams Responsibilities Are
- The Application Support candidate should handle all support requests; incident, problem and change management, and business continuity activities, to ensure flawless and quality delivery of services to end-users. This is a critical role requiring a highly dedicated individual who can take ownership and provide procedural and technical support to various teams and internal/external stakeholders.
- Provide second line client-facing technical support for issues escalated by first line support teams. Apply strong technical skills and good business knowledge together with investigative techniques and problem-solving skills to identify and resolve issues efficiently and in a timely manner. Work collaboratively with development team required for third line escalation.
- Coordinate with product and delivery teams to ensure the App Support team is ready for new releases and engaged in early design of new enhancements
- Work on initiatives and continuous improvement process around proactive application health monitoring, reporting, and technical support.
Education and Hands-on Experience Required
- Proactive monitoring and management of business critical 24x7 real-time. Where required to rectify issues in a timely fashion to restore application functionality.
- Ensure incidents are correctly processed, assessing business and technical impact and severity.
- Taking ownership of application incidents and ensuring that they are resolved, this includes retaining ownership of incidents that require 3rd Line or IT Change activity to resolve.
- Ensuring the communication to the business community remains active.
- Application responsibilities will cover Application Infrastructure, Data Fixes, User Queries, User Education and Incident Investigation.
- Monitoring of application events alerts, job schedules, capacity monitors and performance KPI's. Creation and ownership of change requests raised to address any of the above issues.
- Working with the Functional and Technical teams, to understand future application deliverables both from Fictional and Non-Functional.
- Proactively share knowledge with the team and update the knowledge base with support documentation (Confluence).
- Work to provide services to agreed Service Level Targets and Operating Level Agreements.
- University Graduate of Computer Science or Engineering degree, Master's Degree is a plus
- A minimum of 5 years work experience
- Good understanding of Application Support processes
- Must be knowledgeable in programming languages, SDLC, and experience in raising development bugs - including priority assessment, high-quality analysis, and detailed investigation. Understanding of agile methodology is an advantage
- Must have working knowledge in SQL and RDBMS - including stored procedures & complex joins. Ability to program in SQL is a plus
- Must understand operating systems most especially Linux. Good scripting experience (preferably including python) an advantage
- Must have fundamental knowledge of networking basics and topology. CCNA certification an advantage
- Ideally familiar with monitoring tools such as Splunk, Grafana, Centreon, Solarwinds, and Monolith.
- Ideally would have experience of working in the Finance Industry and/or experience of IHS Markit products
- Ideally with working knowledge of Cloud computing and Microservices technology stack suck as AWS, Openshift, Docker, Elasticsearch, etc.
- Excellent understanding of software systems and technology
- Good understanding of Application Support processes
- Good understanding of software support team functions and a solid understanding of the end to end application development process.
- Knowledge of, or experience of working in the financial services industry would be highly beneficial.
- Awareness of Derivatives products and Trade Processing (desirable)
- Confident Individual - able to represent the team at various levels.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task balancing technical, business and other drivers
- Customer Focused
- An Owner - Making sure tasks are followed through and completed
- Open minded, flexible and willing to adapt to changing situations
- Process Oriented - happy to recommend, work to and support good processes and controls.
- Must be a good communicator both written and verbally for this role as this is also customer facing in addition to working collaboratively with internal teams.
- Must be able to effectively communicate handover of issues inwards from London and outwards to APAC in a Follow the Sun support model.
- Must be able to work in a team environment
- The candidate must be flexible regarding hours including weekends and willing to commit to maintaining service availability for our clients
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here .
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.